Chapter Seven

I deserve the world so I'm gonna give it to myself

"Thank you for humiliate myself for no reason." Annie said as she entered the dinner, picking up a chip form the plate next to Beth. "These are cold." Annie complained.
"They're not mine." Beth said.
"Eww." Annie said as she spat the food on to the plate.
Cassandra moved away from her. "What do we do now?" She asked sitting on the other side of Beth.
"I have no idea." Ruby said before staring of into space.
"What is it?" Beth asked. "Are you okay?"
"Stay here." Ruby said walking down the dinner to the booth in the corner where the three gang members sat. Cassandra found her eyes instantly drawn to the leader. "I've got a question for you." He said. "The two, two, and two meal deal, How much is that?"
"$7.95." Ruby said, voice shaking.
"Yeah, see, but if I order two hot cakes, two sausages, and two eggs a la carte, it's cheaper." The leader said.
"You get a garnish." Ruby whispered.
"Like parsley or something?" He laughed.
"It's an orange slice." Ruby squeaked.
"You tell the owner that ain't right?" The leader said. "Cheating people like that?"
"We're gonna get you your money." Ruby said. "All of it. I swear."
"That would be great." The leader said.
"We need more time to get it." Ruby muttered. His eyes stared at her face and then to were Beth, Annie and Cassandra sat. He nodded his head at Ruby. "Thank you." She whispered.
"I'll come by tomorrow." He said. "1:00 good for you?" He asked rhetorically. "Your friend's house." He added as he and his men walked away. "You can subtract the coffee."

"That's $13." Annie said, adding up her dollars. Suddenly Beth's front door slammed open.
"You know what?" Ruby said. "This is some bull right here. Them coming at us with guns, dropping by my job, uh-uh." She said. "We have families. We have children. We have lives and we gotta end this now."
"Great." Cassandra said. "How?"
"The way I see it, we got two issues we need to take care of." Ruby said. "One is your boy up in that tree house." She said looking at Annie.
"Excuse me, he's not my boy." Annie said.
"And the money." Beth continued the previous conversation.
"Yeah, so two birds, one stone." Ruby said. Beth and Annie looked confused. "Y'all are already getting charged for kidnapping. We might as well ransom his ass, too."

"His grandma's loaded." Annie said slumping down on the couch. "And she doesn't trust banks, so she keeps all of her cash at home like Scrooge McDuck." She laughed. "Where should we have her bring it?"
"Well, they always do the drop in a park in "Law & Order," so how about Beeman?" Ruby said.
"All right, check out this app I downloaded onto his phone." Annie said.
"We have your grandson. Deliver $60,000 to Beeman Park by 5 p.m. or he's dead." A Scottish voice said.
"Is that Sean Connery?" Beth asked.
"Is that the only Scotsman you know?" Cassandra asked.
"No, it's just Scottish Man." Annie said.
"Sounds hot." Ruby said.
"What about..." Annie pressed a button on the phone and a high-pitched voice began to speak.
"We have your grandson. Deliver $60,000—"
"No, no." Ruby said. "She wouldn't get that."
"Okay, uh, let's see here." Annie muttered clicking on a robotic voice.
"We have your grandson.Deliver $60,000 to Beeman Park by 5 p.m. or he's dead."
"That's good." Beth said.
Annie phoned the store manager's grandma and each time it went to voicemail. "You've reached Marion Petersen. I'm not home right now. Please leave a message."
"Try later." Ruby muttered.
"You've reached Marion Petersen. I'm not home right—"  All four women groaned.
"Marion, where you at?" Ruby sighed.
"I mean, if she's out for the night..." Annie began.

"I need you to stay home with my kids." Beth said.
"This is a terrible plan." Cassandra said opening her mouth to say more when Beth gave her, her best puppy-dog-eyes. "It's all we've got." She said.
Cassandra sighed. "Fine."