Chapter Fourteen

Better to be strongThan pretty and useless

Better to be strong
Than pretty and useless.

"Mum, mum, mum." Cassandra walked up the steps to the Boland house as Beth walked through the door carrying groceries, followed shortly after by her kids. Cassandra looked at Kenny as he spoke. "It's not fair." He whined. "For Tommy's birthday, we all went out to a Pistons game. We got box seats, and his mum bought us all jerseys." He explained. "And then and then after that, they rented a hotel with room service."
"Yeah, and now Tommy's mum can't afford college." Beth said.
"I know how that feels." Cassandra muttered, putting her fast food hat on Emma's head as she ran passed, heading to her room. "Well, I want a birthday party." Kenny said.
"How about a sleepover?" Beth tried to compromise.
"With a chocolate fountain." The boy said.
"You could nuke a Hershey bar." She smiled.
"Mama?" Emma asked climbing back downstairs.
"This is the worst birthday ever." Kenny whined.
"Mama?" Emma asked again.
"What is it Em?" Cassandra asked.
"Listen, well, we can't just afford a really big, fancy party right now. We just can't." Beth said still talking to Kenny. "But I promise you, I'm gonna make it special." She sighed. "I promise you, okay."
"Who's the man?" Emma asked. Cassandra gave Beth a look, but she had turned her back to put the groceries away.
"What man?" Cassandra said, drawing Beth's attention.
"The man on my bed." Emma answered. In that instant Beth darted up the stairs closely followed by Cassandra, still in her work uniform covered in chip fat and sweat. "No, no, stay stay here, stay here." She said blocking the kids from Emma's room. "Hey, you wanna go swimming at your dad's?" Beth asked exiting the room, the kids cheered, racing each other down the stairs. Beth followed after her kids as Cassandra pulled out her phone.

By the time Beth got back Annie and Ruby had turned up. "Will you tell us what's going on?" Ruby asked, as Beth and Cassandra lead them upstairs. "This is freaking me out." When Beth opened the door to Emma's room a man in his early twenties lay on the little girls bed, takin up all the space and staining the White sheets with blood. "Oh, my God." Ruby said. "Who is that?" She asked Cassandra. She noted he hadn't been there long as the blood further from his wound was mostly dry—meaning the wound was probably deep—the blood on the bed was still wet. "I don't know." She replied.
"What do you mean you don't know?"
"I mean, we came back from the grocery store and he was just there." Beth said. "And, I mean, I'm assuming he's, like, an associate of the gangbanger."
"Come on, I thought we were done with that." Ruby said. Beth and Cassandra shared a look.
"Yeah, what the hell?" Annie agreed.
"Okay, okay, we were." Beth said. "And then God, this sounds so crazy even saying it—"
"Spit it out." Annie said snapping her fingers.
"I offered to do another job." Beth breathed out.
"Uh, You asked for this?" Ruby hissed.
"It's not like we don't need the money. We all still need the money." Beth defended.
"So you asked for this?" Ruby repeated.
"No, well, not this." Beth cried. Annie stood in the background laughing. "Shh." Her sister muttered.
"I'm sorry." Annie chuckled. "I just can't believe it's you and not me."
"That's what I said." Cassandra laughed. Beth glared at the two girls.
"Come on, it's crazy." Annie defended.
"Look, I just... I just said that we would possibly, if the circumstances were right, pick up another load of the fake cash." Beth said.
"You volunteered us?" Ruby shrieked.
"It's not drugs. It's paper." Beth said. "I mean, it's literally paper."
"You can't sign people up for criminal activity like it's a bake sale." Ruby hissed.
"Noted, but can you just help us get this person out of the house right now?" Cassandra said growing tired of the argument. Ruby looked at her coldly. "Oh, you want some help now?" She said. "I'm sorry, why don't you call your BFF, the other gangbanger?"
"He's not my BFF." Beth scoffed. "I don't even know that guy's name."
"No, but I bet..." Cassandra trailed off looking at the guy bleeding all over Emma's bed. "I bet he does, right?" She asked rhetorically. "Maybe I can, uh—" She moved towards the guy. "Well, this is not a phone." She said, picking up the guy's gun. "Okay," she said. "I have it, I have it." She grabbed the phone and turned it on.
"What's the last number he called?" Beth asked.
"Papa John's." Cassandra said.
"The last person, Cass." Ruby muttered.
Cassandra rolled her eyes, flipping through his phone. "Mum, mum, mum, mum, mum." She muttered. "Oh, my God, why didn't he just go to his mum's?" She thought out loud. "Mum, mum, Mum—" She looked up at Ruby who was looking the guy strangely. "Mum and..." Cassandra drew out seeing a different name. "Rio."