Chapter Nineteen

"He stole your receipt?" Beth asked

"I mean, he must have. Because I've looked everywhere and it's gone." Annie worried.
"Everywhere? Have you checked your pocket?" Beth teased.
"What do you think I am, an idiot?" Annie sneered. "Don't answer that." She said pointing a finger at Cass, who held her hands up in mock surrender, smirking. "Okay, well how much was it for?" Beth asked.
"$20,000 worth of flat screens." Annie cringed.
"Who steals a receipt, anyway?" Ruby asked.
"Well, he wrote his number on it, so I guess he just didn't want me to call him again." Annie explained.
"Isn't it in your phone?" Cass asked.
"Well, yeah, but–" Annie started.
"Who is this guy?" Beth hissed.
"Uh, Brad, or a Brian." Annie said. "I'm picturing the nametag, and I feel like there was a "B" in there." She sighed. "Look, Sadie is gone, okay? I was in a dark place."
"Well call his shady ass and get it back." Ruby said.
"I'm trying, homie." Annie said. "He is ghosting me hard."
"Wow, he sounds like a winner." Beth mocked.
"Yeah, I know, Beth. I guess he got what he came for." Annie muttered.
"Okay. We will fix this. We have to fix this." Cass muttered.
"How?" Ruby said. "You can't do returns for cash without a receipt."
"Okay, well I personally would love a solution that doesn't involve crawling back to Brad-Brian." Annie said.
"Like?" Beth asked.
"Well, like, we could give Gang Friend the cash that we do have, and the flat screens." Annie said.
"Yeah, 'cause that went so well with the Hummels." Cassandra muttered.
"Nope, I value my life. I am not going back to those lunatics short again." Ruby agreed.
"I very much agree." Beth said.
"And can we please stop calling him Gang Friend?" Ruby asked.
"Okay, what's his name, then?" Annie said.
"Ron?" Ruby guessed, Cassandra giggled to herself imagining his name being Ron.
"Yo, you see Ron cap that B?" Annie mimicked a gangsta, and the two younger women laughed to themselves. "Okay, it's not Ron." Cassandra said once she calmed down.
"Okay." Annie smiled.
"His name's Rio." Cass muttered. 

"Ah, ah, ah, ah!" Annie said.
"Is that it?" Cassandra asked.
"I don't know, I can't tell." Annie. "I need more light. Here, can you shine the—" Cass leaned forwards shining her phone torch at the price of paper. She could not believe this was how she was spending her Friday night—in the dumpster looking for a receipt so a angry street gang, with a really attractive boss, wouldn't kill them. "Ooh, I need glasses. I can't see." Annie complained.
"Dear God, please end this suffering." Ruby muttered, the smell was disgusting and Cass tried covering her nose as Beth grabbed the receipt. "Just give just give it to me." She hissed.
"All right, chill." Annie muttered.
"No, I think it's Starbucks." Beth said. Cassandra instantly went back to searching the  dumpster, wanting to get out as soon as she could. "No!" Annie cried.
"Are you sure?" Ruby asked.
"Yeah, I can make out the word 'macchiato' Plus, there's coffee grounds all over it." Beth explained.
"That's not coffee grounds." Ruby whispered.
Annie snickered as Beth throw the receipt away. "This isn't funny!" She hissed.
"Come on, it's a little funny." Annie said, her hair caked in waste.
"We're in a dumpster because of you." Beth seethed.
"Wait, how is this on me?" Annie asked.
"How is this not on you?" Beth asked rhetorically.
"He stole my receipt. I got played here." Annie said.
"No, you screwed a married guy." Beth hissed.
"How was I supposed to know that he was married?" Annie asked.
"Maybe take one more minute of conversation before you drop your pants." Beth said.
"Are you slut-shaming me?" Annie yelled.
"I'm just plain shaming you." Beth said.

Cassandra took off her hoodie trying to shed the smell of desperation and rotting waste. She smiled at Emma as she muttered about mud to her mum. Cassandra washed away the putrid smell of garbage  before getting dressed quickly suddenly wishing she had taken Rosie up on the offer of switching night shifts.