Chapter Sixteen

Expect the bullshitBut never accept it

Expect the bullshit
But never accept it.

"Mum?" Kenny said, walking through the front door.
"Hey, sweetie, what are you doing here?" Beth said as she downed her wine, Cassandra laughed as Annie hid her drink under the couch. "Just don't be mad at Dad." Kenny said.
"Why? What did he do now?" Beth asked.
"He told me all about the party with the bounce house and the water slide, and I invited, like, all my friends." Kenny said, Cassandra and Beth shared a confused look. "Five can't come, but 32 can." He explained.
"Hey! Don't be mad." Dean said entering the house. Annie and Ruby shared a look. "Do you wanna go play some video games?" Annie asked.
"Yeah, definitely." Kenny said as Annie and Ruby lead him upstairs.
"You're a dead man." Ruby muttered to Dean as she walked past. Cassandra didn't move, taking a sip of her drink. Beth spoke to Dean with out turning around. "Go upstairs right now and tell him we can't afford it." She scolded.
"You didn't see his little face." Dean said.
"I see his little face every day." Beth said. "Every day for the rest of my life I have to say no to those kids because of what you did."
"You know what he wants for his birthday?" Dean asked.
"I don't know, probably an Xbox or "Minecraft" or something very expensive." Beth muttered.
"His mom and dad back together." Dean sighed.
"That's what he asked for?" Beth whispered.
"That's what he asked for." Dean nodded.
"Damn." Cassandra muttered. "I would've gone for the Xbox."

Cassandra smiled at Emma helping the little girl get dressed for the party before getting herself dressed, she grabbed a large oversized jersey she had nicked from her ex and a pair of thermal leggings, before walking out into the backyard. The backyard was full of people, a huge bouncy castle and waters slide took up the hold yard. "Holy mother—" Cassandra muttered as she was pulled across the grass by the little girl. After awhile Emma let her go and Cassandra found herself hovering around the refreshment table like a hawk. She had moved on, when Beth lit the candles on the cake. "Happy birthday, dear Kenny Happy birthday to you!" The party goers cheered and clapped. "Yeah, whoo, whoo, whoo!"
"Happy birthday, buddy." Dean said. "Don't forget to make a wish."
"I wish that Daddy could live at home again." Everyone went silent. Cassandra's blood ran cold when she saw Rio. He stood on Beth's back porch like he had every right to be there, despite how he stood out against the suburban setting. Cassandra excused herself from the party. She walked inside, turning back to watch the gangsta follow after her. "You can't just walk in here." She hissed at him once she had shut her bedroom door. "The door was open." He said simply looking around the room, he picked up a framed photo of Cassandra and her ex with a group of friends from college; the blonde was wearing the jersey she was currently wearing. "It's because it's a party with children." Cassandra said. He lifted up his shirt to fix it and Cassandra's eyes landed on the piece of metal. "Oh, my God, you brought a gun?" She asked rhetorically. "Of course you brought a gun." She muttered. "What do you want?" She asked. "What do you want?" He turned, walking towards her until he stood right in front of her, his eyes trailing up and down her body. "Came to pick up my boy."
"He's not here." Cassandra said. "And he also almost blew my head off." She hissed. Rio's eyes darkened, revealing the unforgiving hardness underneath. Rio moved closer, invading her personal space. "Excuse me?" He scoffed.
"He left." She said simply.
"Then that's on you." Rio huffed.
"What am I supposed to do?" Cassandra argued. "Chain him to a bed?"
"Oh, baby, what you think this is, little league?" Rio asked, Cassandra glared at him, ignoring they why him calling her baby made her feel. "And you get a trophy just for playing?"
"I tried." Cassandra sighed.
"I don't give a damn if you try. You gotta win, bitch." He stood so close to her now that  she could feel his breath against her cheek. As Rio drew closer Cassandra felt her heart beat so hard she feared he'd hear it. He looked at her through half-lidded eyes. "Cass, are you okay?" Beth said entering the room.
"Fine, yeah." Cassandra said cheerfully. "Just fine." She muttered as Rio left.