Chapter 1

I am jayda saniyaa Matthew's. I am a 5'3 18 year old senior in high school and I've lived in Harlem New York my whole life. I work two jobs when I'm not at school to provide for me and my grandmother, life's been rough for us in Harlem especially since we live in the hood and my parents chose not to raise me leaving me to my grandma with no money, clothes, or anything really. I make sure I work and study hard to make a living for myself and support my grandmother the same way she did me and any other family members who needed it.

My grandmother is sending me to live with my aunt tomorrow since she's getting old and doesn't want me to worry about taking care of her. I cant stop thinking about how much my life is about to change.

" jayda, stop worrying I'll be fine" my grandma said in a shaky voice watching me as I paced back and forth along the kitchen floor.

My grandma is 77 going on 78 I know she's getting old but I'm scared for not only her but I'm scared of the only person in this world that gives a shit about me being gone. I'm scared of being alone, I've never liked change and this right here is gonna be a big one.

"I know...I know grandma, I'm sorry for being selfish" I said with a frown as a few tears escaped my eyes.

"No, you have every right to be...I'm just as scared as you baby but you know if you need me I'm just a call away" she said slowly grabbing my hands tightly before kissing them.

"Now go get some sleep, you have a big day tomorrow" she said slightly smacking my butt.

I chuckled before walking upstairs to my now bare room And checked my closet again before closing my suitcases. I grabbed the money I've been saving from my two jobs and split it in half, leaving some under my grandmas pillow, and the rest in the small pocket of my suitcase just in case things don't go as planned in California....judging from my aunts reputation Lord knows Tomorrow's gonna be a long day.
*
*
*

I was woken up by my alarm ringing throwing me out of my sleep. I quickly turned off my alarm and walked into the bathroom for a morning shower. After doing my morning routine I got dressed and did my hair making sure to dress comfortable for the plane ride seeing as it's gonna be a little over 6 hours and my flight takes off at 5:30. I grabbed my morning bag and placed it in my suitcase along with my charger leaving me with a neck pillow, my beats earphones and my phone. I brought all my stuff downstairs before looking at the time. 4:33 Right on time I said to myself before my grandmother appeared from the kitchen handing me a breakfast sandwich and chips for the wait. She's been planning this move for a while but it all feels so new. After talking and saying our good byes A loud beep signaled it was time to part ways I kissed her once more before leaving... both of us with tears streaming down our cheeks.

"Ms. Jayda Matthew's?" The cap driver called

"Yes that's me" I said struggling with my two suitcases still slightly crying.

I struggled a little more before the cab driver lifted them and placed them both neatly in the back of the cab before pulling off to the airport.

Since the cab driver was late I had five minutes till boarding I flew out the car grabbing everything and headed towards the entrance.

" The flight from New York to los angles leaves in 3 minutes"

I walked quicker finally making it to the entrance and passing the lady my ticket

"You got lucky" she said with a smile before telling me where to go.

This was my first time going out of New York making this a bitter sweet moment. I, with help put away my bags before looking at the time 5:29 AM I let out a long sigh before Scooting over to my seat and putting my music on, falling fast asleep.
*
*
*