Fifth Year; Rubbish

Y/n's POV

Summer was hectic, to say the least. But in a good way. Draco and I hung out a lot more then we had the previous summer, taking turns going to each others' houses to spend a few hours together. About a month before school started, Draco and I started dating officially, and I was excited to see where things went. I was standing with Draco on the platform in front of the train, spending a few more seconds with him before the two of us had to board. 

"I'm glad school is starting back up again, but that means I won't see you as much," I say and lace our fingers together. 

"I know," Draco agreed. "But I'll try and spend as much time with you as I can. I'll see you in the Great Hall later." Draco leaned down and kissed me quickly before heading onto the train. I followed after him, but the two of us then went our separate ways. I found Harry, Hermione, and Ron in a compartment towards the back and took a seat.

"Hey guys," I greet my friends. "How's everyone's summer been?" 

"Terrible," Harry replied. "But then again, it's always that way." 

"Sorry about not sending you letter's Harry. It's just that-" 

Harry cut me off. "Dumbledore told you not to. Yeah I know. But what about you? How was your summer?"

"Great, actually. I attended a few Puddlemere United games and got to see Oliver play, which was fun. I had to go to a few parties with my family. That wasn't as fun. And uh, I know you guys don't care for him much, but Draco and I started dating," I share with the group.

"I think that's great," Harry confessed. "Maybe you can get him to stop being mean to us this year." 

"We already talked about that. He said he would try to keep the insulting to a minimum," I declare.

"Well if Harry is happy for you, then I am too," Hermione agreed. 

"Same here," Ron concurred. The train ride to Hogwarts was quick this year. We got onto the carriages and arrived at Hogwarts soon, where I met up with Draco in the Great Hall. We stood to the side for a few minutes together while everyone found their seats, and once Dumbledore stood up to give his speech, I went to the Gryffindor table to sit down. 

"Good evening, children," Dumbledore started. "Now, we have two changes in staffing this year. We're pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank who will be taking Care of Magical Creatures while Professor Hagrid is on temporary leave. We also wish to welcome our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Dolores Umbridge. I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing the professor good luck. As usual, our caretaker, Mr. Filch, has asked me to remind you-"

Umbridge cut Dumbledore off and walked up to the front of the room. "Thank you, headmaster, for those kind words of welcome. And how lovely to see all your bright, happy faces smiling up at me. I'm sure we're all going to be very good friends. The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. Although each headmaster has brought something new to this historic school, progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged. Let us preserve what must be preserved, perfect what can be perfected, and prune practices that ought to be prohibited." 

I leaned over to Harry and Ron, who were across the table. "I already don't like her." 

"What did her speech even mean?" Harry questioned. 

Hermione sighed. "It means that the Ministry is interfering with Hogwarts."

................................................

Defense Against the Dark Arts was my favorite class. Yet somehow, every year, I seemed to be disappointed. I didn't think this year would be any different. When I entered the classroom, I slid into the seat next to Draco, setting my bag down on the floor.

"I thought you would be sitting next to some of your Gryffindor friends," Draco spoke. 

"I see them in almost every class," I admit. "This is one of the only classes we have together, so I'm going to make the most of it." 

"Good morning, children," Umbridge chirped as she entered the room. "This year, we'll be preparing for Ordinary Wizarding Level examinations. O-W-Ls. More commonly known as OWLs. Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so, and the consequences may be severe. Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven. But you'll be pleased to know, from now on, you will be following a carefully structured, Ministry-approved course of defensive magic." Umbridge then proceeded to pass out the textbooks for the class, and I frowned when I saw it.

"What kind of rubbish is this?" I mutter quietly to myself.

"Ms. Fawley," Umbridge called out. "Did you say something?"

"Yeah. I said that this is rubbish," I repeat. "There is nothing in here about using spells. How am I going to defend myself if something happens?" 

"I don't know why you would need to use spells in my classroom. We're learning about spells in a risk free way. The Ministry thinks that this will help many students like you better their knowledge about defense," Umbridge announced.

"Students like me? If you had been here the past few years, then you would know that this is my best class, and I excel in it," I argue.

"There is no talking back to a teacher, Ms. Fawley," Umbridge countered. "I expect to see you in detention tonight at 6:30," I sighed and leaned back against my seat. Great. Detention on the first day of classes.

"And how's theory supposed to prepare us for what's out there?" Harry quizzed. 

"There is nothing out there, dear," Umbridge professed. "Who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourself?" 

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe Lord Voldemort," Harry proposed. 

"Now, let me make this quite plain. You have been told that a certain dark wizard is at large once again. This is a lie," Umbridge revealed. 

"It's not a lie. I saw him. I fought him," Harry retorted. 

"Mr. Potter, you can join Ms. Fawley in detention," Umbridge exclaimed. 

"So according to you, Cedric Diggory dropped dead of his own accord," Harry put forth. 

"Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident," Umbridge claimed. 

"It was murder. Voldemort killed him," Harry said. 

"Enough! Enough!" Umbridge shouted. "I will not tolerate this in my classroom every day. Now, I want everyone to be quiet and open up your books."