Advanced Potions

Y/n's POV

"There you are," I murmur and give Draco a hug as he met me at the entrance to the Great Hall. "I was getting worried." 

"Sorry," Draco apologized. "When I got past the gates, security was hassling me about having my father's walking stick. Snape cleared everything up though." 

"All right. I'll see you in class tomorrow," I tell him and peck his lips before heading over to the Gryffindor table. When I joined my friends, I saw that Harry was holding some sort of rag to his nose, and it was covered in blood. "Blimey, Harry. What happened to you?"

"Nothing. I just tripped getting off the train," Harry claimed. "What'd I miss?"

"Just the sorting ceremony," Ron responded. "Dumbledore's about to give his start of the year speech now."

"Very best of evenings to you all," Dumbledore started and took his place at the front of the hall behind his podium. "First off, let me introduce the newest member of our staff, Horace Slughorn. Professor Slughorn, I'm happy to say, has agreed to resume his old post as Potions Master. Meanwhile, the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts will be taken by Professor Snape. As you know, each and every one of you were searched upon your arrival here tonight. And you have the right to know why. Once, there was a young man. Like you, he sat in this very hall. Walked this castle's corridors. Slept under it's roof. You see, to all the world, a student like any other. His name: Tom Riddle. Today of course, he is known all over the world by another name. Which is why as I stand, looking out upon you all tonight, I'm reminded of a sobering fact. Every day, every hour, this very minute, perhaps, dark forces attempt to penetrate this castle's walls. But in the end, that greatest weapon is you. Just something to think about. Now off to bed. Pip pip."

....................................................

"Hey Y/n," Harry greeted me as I bumped into him and Ron as I was walking to my class.

"Hey guys," I return. "Don't you have a class to be getting to?"

"Both of us have a free period," Ron stated. "What about you? Where are you off to?"

"Advanced Potions," I reply and show him the book I was holding.

"That's no surprise. You've been in love with potions since your first year," Harry noted. "What else have you decided to take this year?"

"Well, since I got either Outstanding or Exceeds Expectations on all of my OWLs last year, I could've taken whatever NEWTs I wanted. But I've just chosen the few that would help me become an Auror. So besides Potions, I'm taking Defense Against the Dark Arts, Transfiguration, Charms, Ancient Runes, and Herbology," I list off. "Speaking of class, I've got to get to mine. I'll see you both later."

"Attention to detail in the preparation is the prerequisite of all plan," Slughorn spoke. Just then, Harry and Ron walked into the classroom, which was odd since I didn't think they were taking potions this year. 

"Harry, my boy, I've been beginning to worry. You brought someone with us, I see," Slughorn noticed. 

"Ron Weasley, sir," Ron introduced. "But I'm dead awful at Potions. A menace, actually so I'm probably just going to-" 

Slughorn cut Ron off. "Nonsense. We'll sort you out. Any friend of Harry's is a friend of mine. Get your books out." 

"I'm sorry, sir, I haven't actually got my book yet and nor has Ron," Harry declared. 

"Not to worry. Get what you want from the cupboard," Slughorn instructed. "Now as I was saying, I prepared some concoctions this morning. Any ideas what these might be?" I was the only person in the class to raise my hand, which didn't go unnoticed by Slughorn. "Ms. Fawley, is it?" 

"Yes, sir," I confirm. "That one there is Veritaserum. It's a truth-telling potion. And that is Amortentia. The most powerful love potion in the world. It's rumored to smell differently to each person according to what attracts them." 

"And what do you smell, Ms. Fawley?" Slughorn implored. 

"Oh, um, I don't think I want to smell that," I confess.

"Oh just give it a whiff," a student muttered. "Everyone knows you'll smell Malfoy." I glanced over at Draco, who smiled softly at me, and I could feel my cheeks heat up. I then took a hesitant step towards the cauldron, and I could feel everyone's eyes on me. I didn't like being the center of attention, and with Amortentia involved, it just made things a hundred times worse. I leaned over the cauldron, inhaling the air around it, and a few scents flooded my nose, all of which made me smile. 

"Well?" Slughorn pushed. "What do you smell?" 

"It's a rather odd combination, but I smell mint, citrus, and cologne," I answer. No surprise, that was basically the sum of what Draco smelled like. 

"Now, Amortentia doesn't create actual love. That would be impossible, but it does cause powerful infatuation or obsession. And for that reason, it is probably the most dangerous potion in this room," Slughorn disclosed and put a top over the cauldron.

"Sir, you haven't told us what's in that one," a girl said and pointed to a tiny bottle. 

"Oh yes. What you see before you, ladies and gentlemen, is a curious little potion, known as Felix Felicis. But it is more commonly known referred to as Liquid Luck," Slughorn shared. "Desperately tricky to make, disastrous should you get it wrong. One sip and you'll find that all of your endeavors succeed. At least until the effects wear off. So this is what I offer each of you today. One tiny vial of liquid luck to the student who, in the hour that remains, manages to brew an acceptable Draught of Living Dead. Recipes for which can be found on page 10 of your books. I should point out, however, that only one student has managed to brew a potion of sufficient quality to claim this prize. Nevertheless, good luck to you all. Let the brewing commence."

While everyone scrambled to get their ingredients, I grabbed a stool and just sat down in my assigned seat. I would have loved to sit with Draco, but Slughorn put us at tables according to our house, so I was with all of the Gryffindors. 

"Y/n, why aren't you working on your potion? We could win Liquid Luck here!" Ron chirped. 

"My life is great right now. I've got perfect marks, I'm a star chaser on the Quidditch team, and I've got an amazing boyfriend. The only thing that's a bit iffy is my family at the moment. What more do I need? Besides, I could easily win this competition," I admit. "I'm just giving someone else a chance to win for once."

Harry frowned. "What's wrong with your family?"

"N-nothing," I stutter out and subconsciously rub at my left arm. "We've just been fighting a lot is all." Like I said before, no one could know what had happened with my family. Not even my closest friends.

I watched as everyone struggled with making their potion. Seamus' blew up in his face, Crabbe's melted anything it came into contact with, and one girl produced a strange green goo. The only person who didn't seem to be struggling was Harry, which was odd. He was never too great at potions, but maybe studying for the OWLs last school year made him better at it. In the end, Harry ended up winning the competition, and I was happy for him. 

"Here we are then, as promised. One vial of Felix Felicis. Congratulations," Slughorn cheered and presented Harry with the tiny vial. "Use it well."