chapter six

Lauren's POV

"Mommy, why do your eyes look so red?" Bella asked as I set down her bowl of oatmeal on the table.

"Not right now, sweetie. Eat up," I huffed, not wanting to talk about it. I already called in sick to work and texted Lilly I wasn't going in today. Not with how awful I looked. And say what you want about me skipping work because of a little cry sesh over my ex, but this was different. This was an episode, triggering my PTSD. Mental health issues. I was in no shape for work.

"Well.. are you okay?" she frowned which made me feel bad for trying to hide from her.

"...I'll be okay, squirt. Sorry that Mommy's going through something. Just know you did nothing wrong and I love you," I spoke sincerely. We've always been honest with each other and that was just what I was doing.

She gave me a sympathetic look, walking around the table to hug me. "I love you too, Mommy. You'll be okay."

"Thank you, baby. I truly don't deserve you," kissing her on the head, I held her close.

I didn't care if I looked like a total pussy for my breakdown but how could I not after the emotional devastation that was speaking to my ex-wife? I was probably even worse than I was right after she left my daughter and I. And I was bad. Like, really bad.

I guess this might just be good shit for my book. Not like it was an autobiography or anything. Well, I guess it was kind of like a memoir, recalling the collection of life changes I went through over the past decade. The highlight: Camila walking out on me. The title thus far was called "Loving Camila." Pathetic, I know.

It'd been my worst kept secret for a while. Not even my own sister knew about the title and we'd never been closer. Hell, Taylor and my mother were my biggest support system, especially since the divorce. Mom allowed Bella and I to live in her and Taylor's house for two years till I finally got back on my own two feet and found a new home. I was so blessed to have them.

I couldn't imagine what they'd think now that Camila and I had reunited. All they'd know was that I'd be a total wreck and I damn well was. Not only them but my girlfriend as well.

"You don't mind that I'm holding him, right?" I smiled over to Lilly as we walked throughout the park. I couldn't believe how fucking nice she was that she took the day off as well just to be with me. She could tell I needed someone from just how I spoke to her over the phone.

"Not at all. You're so good with him," she complimented sweetly.

The only way her son would fall asleep was if he was being held, not in the stroller we'd been pushing throughout Central Park for the past half hour. So I offered to hold her 1-year-old to give her a break. Theodore was such an adorable little guy.

"I remember when Bella was this size. She fit perfectly just like this," I smiled down at the baby clinging onto my shoulders.

"I know. I can't imagine how big he's gonna be one day," she slightly pouted as we took a seat on the bench and I could finally set him in the stroller.

"It's a scary but exciting process. You'll love to see him grow," I said.

"I already do," she whispered, cuddling into me for warmth. It was a bit chilly out but I was a sucker seeing Lilly all bundled up, looking cozy.

A/N: Imagine Lilly as Lily Collins 😍