chapter twelve

Lauren's POV

[December 2006]

The first thing I saw while stepping out of the gate was someone I'd been waiting a whole two weeks to see. "Camila!" I squealed excitedly, running to go almost tackle her to the floor.

"Baby!" she squealed just as happily. "You're finally home!"

"I missed you so fucking much," I breathed before kissing her like I hadn't kissed her in years. It sure as hell felt like I hadn't seen her in years. 

"I missed you too. Never leave me again," she mildly joked.

"You know I won't. But Spain was so amazing, babe. Next time we go I'm taking you," I held her face as I melted into her beautiful brown eyes.

"You better."

"In fact... I got you something that I can't wait to show you," I pulled my backpack around with shaky hands since I was about to ask her the question of a lifetime. I was finally about to ask her to marry me. And yes, we were still in college but when you know, you know. And I knew from the minute I first laid eyes on her. 

This girl was mine to keep forever.

"Karla Camila Cabello...." I began, knelt down in front of her and presenting a beautiful diamond ring I'd purchased in Spain. "Will you do me the honor of marrying me?"

"Oh my god, yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!" she jumped up and down like a little kid and I stood up so she could jump on me this time. Her legs were wrapped around my waist as I held her, tears in both of our eyes. 

Finally.

"Did you ask my dad?" Camila smiled while we walked out of the airport.

"I asked both of your parents," I chuckled.

"Really?!"

"You damn well know Sinu would never approve if she wasn't at least filled in either."

"Well, I'm surprised she said yes. Or.... did she?" she questioned suspiciously.

I looked at her nervously since the conversation wasn't exactly ideal. It was over the phone of course since it was more of a spontaneous idea while I was abroad. I was going to wait until Christmas break but really couldn't help it. I'd been waiting too long to make my dream come to life. 

*over the phone*

Sinu: "I don't know about this, Lauren. Camila's so young-"

Me: "She's eighteen, Sinu. She's an adult now, not a little girl anymore. Exactly the legal age of consent and marriage."

Sinu: "Barely. She still has much growing up to do and so do you."

Me: "Not true. You just hate that we're together. You're absolutely ridiculous and I'm not gonna keep taking it anymore."

Annoyed was beyond an understatement. This was why Sinu and I didn't talk. She never once gave me a chance. 

Sinu: "It's not that, Lauren. I'm just looking out for MY daughter's best interests."

Me: "Well, I'm just looking out for MY girlfriend's best interests. You don't know what she wants. I do, and it's me that she wants. She belongs to me now, not you."

Sinu: "What are you trying to do? Trap her and keep her away from her family? She has a life to live and that doesn't always revolve around you. She wants to go out, see the world, be a doctor..."