chapter twenty-two

Camila's POV

"I can't even be a goddamn nurse or... at the front desk?" I pleaded with the head of my old office.

"I'm sorry, Doctor, but I don't know what to tell you. New York has revoked your license," he said.

"But I can't leave New York. My daughter's here. There's no way I can leave her again," my voice grew emotional. "And I love Ally but I can't work at her bakery for the rest of my life. I don't want to work anywhere but a clinic or hospital. I just want to practice medicine."

"Well, it's either you practice elsewhere or maybe... go into clinical research? Teaching? Therapy? Maybe sonography?" he suggested.

Rolling my eyes and giving up, "You know what? I'll just figure this out some other way. Thank you, Doctor." I picked up my bag and began to leave his office.

"Wait," he paused me and I turned around. "I do know of an opening... it's in Chicago though. And didn't you graduate from UChicago?"

"Yes," I sighed and shook my head. "But there's no way I'm leaving New York."

"I know but hear me out. It's at Northwestern Children's Practice... great team over there."

"Oh.. yeah, I did a rotation there," I nodded.

"Well, they're looking for more physicians and I'd be happy to give my colleague your name," he offered. "The pay is great and the staff will make you feel at home again."

"Oh god," I breathed tiredly.

I felt bittersweet at the moment. On one hand, Doctor Raleigh was incredibly generous for giving me a referral but on the other... it would mean leaving Bella and Lauren for a second time. Going back to Chicago yet again. And they just moved to Brooklyn only a year ago. What would they think if I just got up and left a second freaking time?! I couldn't do that to them. I couldn't even do that to myself.

But I did really need work. And I had no passion to do anything but be a pediatrician. This was the best job in the world. I remember always loving Chicago too. Big city, good people (far nicer than New Yorkers not gonna lie), more affordable, less crowded, more homey and cleaner than NYC. And there's always something about the Midwest that gets me. I could finally own an actual house right outside the city. A cute house with a little backyard garden and swimming pool that my kids and I could play in during the hot summers. It was my dream.

This was going to be the hardest thing I ever had to face.

__________________________

Lauren's POV

"I'm going out with friends tonight. Don't wait up for me," Lilly said as soon as we finished up working.

"Wasn't going to anyway," I scoffed after that rude remark.

"Whatever, Lauren," she huffed and stormed out.

I really didn't understand her attitude lately but I didn't even care to question it. I was so close to breaking things off. Besides, tonight gave me the chance to hang out with my own girls since Bella had rehearsal and then a sleepover with some new friends. It was a friend night for all of us. Also, gave me more time to think about just how I was going to break up with Lilly.

I think we both faced the fact that we weren't in love anymore. Nothing's ever been the same since Christmas. And it wasn't like we were fighting to get back to how we used to be. It was what was best for us.

***

The bar in Manhattan was alive and well with Dinah, Normani, Ally, Camila, and I. We were all having a great time just the five of us. Dinah and Normani were having an even better time making out since they just confirmed their relationship. And Ally and Camila, though they just drank water, still had a ball. I, on the other hand, kept buying more drinks.