Alone again

*Elisa's POV*

"She might not wake up, there was a lot of blood," I heard someone from right beside me.

"You can't say that, it's only been three days," I heard a monotone voice from my other side.

"Yes, but three days could mean life or death," The other person, who I'm guessing was the nurse from my first visit, told the monotone person.

"I know that, but she has shown amazing perseverance, even as she was dying," The monotone voice came again.

'Why can't I open my eyes? Why can't I move?' I thought, straining to open my eyes.

"Well, I think she's still fighting to live right now," The nurse told the other person.

'Come on, open you eyes,' I said, still struggling to open them.

"If she's fighting so hard she would've woken up by now," The monotone voice, who I think is male, said to the nurse.

'Open your stupid eyes!' I thought shouted at myself, finally opening my eyes a crack.

"Look, she's awake," The nurse said as she was coming into focus.

"Good," I looked over to see a man that I didn't quite recognise, but he seemed familiar in some way.

"Who?" I asked the young man.

"Corporal Levi," After he said his name I recognised him as the one who brought me on top of the roof. "Who were you talking to right before you passed out?" He asked me.

"I don't remember," I trailed off, searching through my memories.

"It's fine if you can't remember," The nurse told me.

"I think she should be let out for a few hours," Corporal Levi said suddenly.

"But last time she did that she almost died," The nurse protested.

"She will not be doing any physical activity, or straining herself in any way," He said back, keeping his expressionless voice just above a whisper.

"Fine, but if something happens this time she's staying here until she is fully healed," The nurse stated her one condition.

"Are you okay with that Cadet Deraener?" The Corporal asked me.

"Yes sir," I nodded my head, just wanting to leave and see Marco.

'I bet he's worried sick,' I thought as the nurse helped me up, putting a new short sleeved button up shirt on me, and then a new trainee corps jacket.

"Okay, you're good to go. Levi, make sure you have at least one person keeping an eye on her at all times until she's ready to get those stitches out," The nurse instructed as Levi and I walked out of the room.

"Thank you," I said, but realised that there were no stains on his jacket or cloak. "Sorry if I ruined your uniform," I looked over to him, only to see that he and I are almost the same height.

"I'm taking you to the courtyard, there's a mass funeral taking place that I thought you should attend," He told me, looking forward the entire time.

"Yes sir," I said quietly.

We walked down the rest of the hall in silence, the only noise coming from the sound of our boots hitting the floor. When we turned the corner I saw a flickering light, most likely from a large fire, but I had no idea what that fire was for. As we got closer, I started hearing sobs and strangled cries.

"What's happening?" I asked the Corporal, getting slightly nervous to enter the courtyard.

"They're cremating the bodies of the fallen soldiers," He seemed unaffected by the deaths of his comrades.

"Okay," I held my breath for a second, slowly releasing it.

'I wonder how Marco's doing,' I thought, getting worried, realising that I haven't heard from him in a while, even though I've only been awake for about an hour.

"Go on in, I'll be waiting right here, if anything happens, yell for help," Levi instructed me.

"Yes sir," I said, saluting him as best as I could.

'I can't see Marco, but I think I see Jean,' I looked over to see him hunched over, looking at a charred piece of something that was in his hand.

As I was walking over, he clutched onto the thing and started crying, leaving me to wonder if I should talk to him or just let him mourn over his friend. I just kept getting closer, then stood beside him, making him look up.

"What do you want," He said menacingly, making me step back a bit in shock.

"Jean, I was just wondering where Marco went," I asked making him tear up even more.

He looked me in the eyes and told me the news that I hoped to never hear.

"He's dead."