Survey Corps

*Elisa's POV*

*Time jump, choosing ceremony*

"Eighty percent of our soldiers have died in the last four years, that is a very high number," I couldn't pay attention to the speech that Commander Erwin was giving, I was to wrapped up in what I was going to choose, I mean, I had been planning to join the Survey Corps for years now, but how long would I last? My trust in others is very low, which is bad for me because at some point my life would be in the hands of my squad, and I wouldn't be able to trust them enough.

"In four years eighty percent of you will be dead, those who remain will have a very high survival rate," The Commander continued with his unnerving speech, putting more people out of going the survey corps.

'I have to stay, for Marco, mom, and dad,' I repeated to myself constantly, remembering the people who kept me going, even when I just wanted to give up.

"If you wish to join another regiment, you may leave now," The Commander finally finished his long and discouraging speech, causing almost everyone to leave the courtyard.

'Did I make the right choice?' I questioned inside my head. 'I could turn and leave right now, go and join the Garrison,' I thought, but was immediately against it. 'No, I need to get actual proof that my father is dead, and I need to avenge Marco and mom,' I thought as most of the training corps had left, leaving only eleven other people.

"Give your hearts!" Commander Erwin shouted, making everyone slam their right fist to their chests, and clench their left one behind their back, but in the background you could hear sobbing of the people who were terrified of their decisions.

"Deraener," I heard someone say from behind me, so I spun around to see none other than the Commander himself.

"Sir!" I shouted, saluting him, but he immediately waved it off.

"No need to be so formal around me, I just wanted to know how your stitches are healing," The Commander asked me.

"They're doing fine sir, the nurse said they should be out in three weeks, sir," I told him, and he just nodded and walked away, leaving me dumbfounded.

*Time jump, at the old HQ*

"I still can't believe the devil girl came with us!" I heard Jean from ahead of me, he's obviously still trying to make me feel worse about what happened to Marco.

"Why won't you just leave her be?" Connie asked, making me look up from my black horse.

"Because, she's responsible for the death of my best friend," He said bitterly, turning his head to look at me.

"What?" Connie gasped, along with almost everyone else.

"It's true!" Jean shouted, and I could feel a tear roll down my cheek.

"Leave the poor girl alone," Ymir finally piped up, silencing Jean.

"I keep telling myself that it was my fault," I whispered, making everyone turn to me.

"That what was your fault?" Connie asked, making more tears fall from my eyes as I remembered what happened that day.

"I killed Marco," I whispered, choking on my silent sobs.

"No way, you couldn't have!" Sasha shouted in disbelief.

"But she did! She left Marco alone when his gear wasn't working to save herself!" Jean shouted, making my quiet sobs even harder to control.

"Stop! I think you're making her have a panic attack!" Someone shouted, I think it was Krista.

"I-it was-wasn't m-my f-fau-lt," I got out between gasps for air and strangled sobs.

"Enough! All of you!" A new voice shouted from behind us. "Come, ride beside me," The person told me, just as I started blacking out from the hyperventilating. "Breath slowly, nice slow breaths. There you go," The person helped me calm down, so I could get a better glimpse now.

"Gah!" Someone cried out from in front of me.

"That's what you get for talking while riding!" The person beside me shouted.

"I don't think we've met before," I told the man, who had dark brown, basically black, hair, and dark brown eyes.

"Oh, I'm Gunther Schultz, part of the special ops squad," He introduced himself, smiling kindly. "What's your name young lady?"

"I-I'm Elisa Deraener," I smiled back as well as I could.

"You're the girl that Petra tells us all about," He sighed a bit.

"Oh," I said quietly, feeling a bit embarrassed.

"She told us about what happened when you were younger, and about what happened after Shiganshina fell. I have a feeling that she really likes you," He told me, making me feel a little more embarrassed.

"Yo-you think?" I asked him.

"Yeah. Look like we're here, let's go," He motioned for me to follow him back to the front of the group.

'I can't believe that Petra talks about me that much,' I said inside my head, gazing up at the old castle that stood tall in the clearing.

"Welcome to the Survey Corps!" Gunther shouted as we dismounted our horses.