14

The next day at school, Veronica sat with Mason and also Brett on the bleachers, talking about potential Chimeras. Veronica laughed to herself as watched Liam and Hayden had an individual competition at who could do better in their sports, Lacrosse in Liam's case and Soccer in Hayden's.

"I don't know, guys," Brett told the two teenagers, "Everyone at Devenford's pretty abnormal to me."

"All right. What else is there to look for?" Mason asked them curiously.

"Heightened strength, smell, hearing, speed..." Veronica began to list them out, "Cannabilistic teeth appearing out of all parts of your body."

Both Mason and Brett turned to her confused, "Don't ask." She told the two males, shaking her head.

"Um, able to see in the dark," Brett added in.

"Glowing eyes."

"Eyes that reflect light."

"Visible scorpion stingers protruding out of limbs." Mason added in also, causing a smile to appear on Veronica's lips.

"Yeah. Or three-foot lizard tails." Brett commented.

Veronica watched as Liam went to shoot a goal, only to have it totally miss. She stood up on the bleachers and began to sarcastically clap, "Whoo! Great job, Liam! You totally got that one." Veronica shouted out and she could instantly hear Liam groan and Hayden laugh.

After he shot a few more, the last one Liam ended up putting in too much supernatural strength and the goalie ended up falling, "Sorry." Liam apologized as he ran over to him.

"What's up with those two anyway?" Brett asked curiously while Veronica laughed, knowing the story all too well from Mason telling her to try and get Liam embarrassed.

"Sixth grade," Mason replied, "And not the best year for Liam's anger management issues. There was a..." He trailed off as he turned on his phone and pulled up his sixth-grade yearbook, "This fight in the hallways. Liam and this other guy. Hayden sort of accidentally walked into it. And this is her yearbook photo."

The group began to laugh as a picture of Hayden's yearbook photo popped up. She smiled her brightest, but it didn't hide the bandage covering her nose, "Ah, damn." Brett commented, causing Veronica to laugh.

"Wait until you see Liam's," Veronica told him as she lifted up her hand and swiped Mason's screen to reveal Liam with a bandage over his nose also.

"Does anyone here have Asthma?" Veronica heard someone shout out as they ran onto the field, "Anyone got an inhaler?"

Veronica's eyes widened when she realized who must have needed it, "Scott." Veronica muttered before running off the bleachers with Liam in tow.

After obtaining an inhaler, Veronica and Liam pushed through the crowd of people blocking the door to the AP biology room and found Scott sitting on the ground, having an asthma attack, "We got it! We got the inhaler!" Veronica announced loudly as she ran over to Scott and knelt next to him. Liam did the same, ready to help Scott alongside Veronica.

Veronica grabbed Scott's hand and placed the inhaler in it. She placed her hand on her face to get him to turn to her, "Scott, look at me. You have to use the inhaler. Scott, come on." She pleaded.

Once getting no answer, she turned to Liam, "Make sure no one sees me." Veronica whispered and Liam quickly obeyed, blocking everyone's view of her eyes as she glowed them, "Scott." She called out in a low tone that sounded more like a growl.

Scott was quickly snapped out of his trance-like state. He quickly shook his inhaler before taking a puff out of it. Veronica sighed in relief when she saw that he was better, quickly pulling him in for a tight hug.

________

At the end of the school day, Veronica tracked Theo to the weight room at school. Knowing Veronica was about to enter, Theo stopped doing his pull ups and smirked as he took off his jacket, leaving him in only his shorts with no shirt on.

Veronica entered the weight room and closed the door behind her. She stood there, not saying a single word as Theo stared at her. He decided for her to speak up and started to do more exercises. He began to pick up weights as Veronica finally walked over to him, "Why haven't you said anything to the pack?" She asked curiously, "Especially Scott."

"About what?" Theo retorted, acting as if he didn't know what Veronica was talking about, even though he did.

"That I lied about what my memory was to Scott." She explained to him, "Why didn't you tell Scott?"

Theo glanced at her as he continued to lift his weights, "Didn't think you wanted me to." He replied and Veronica sighed.

"I don't," Veronica admitted quietly.

"Well, that gives you your answer then, doesn't it?" Theo commented.

Veronica scoffed, rolling her eyes at him, "I'm surprised you don't want to know why."

Theo placed his weight down before walking over to stand in front of Veronica, "I don't need to know why. I already know it's because you're used to lying to Scott. You feel as if it's better to lie than facing the truth: You're scared of him knowing everything about you because you think he's going to send you to Eichen like he does the rest of the nut jobs."

Theo knew that what he hurt her a bit, but didn't care. He walked over to the butterfly press and began to work out.

  As Theo did so, Veronica suddenly walked over to him and stopped the machine from working. He tried to fight back, but struggled because of how much stronger Veronica was than him, "You think I'm going to owe you now because you're not telling Scott what the memory really was? Well, you're wrong, Theo." Veronica growled at him, "You can't just waltz in here and ruin everything that I've built for myself, understand? Me not telling Scott about my memory is actually saving your desperate ass. If I told him, it would prove you were working for those people and then you would never get in the pack. Your ass would be put in Eichen."

"Then why haven't you told him, huh?" Theo argued and Veronica scoffed.

"Because I'm too busy trying to figure out what the hell those Dread Doctors did to me in the first place." She explained before finally letting go.

Veronica ended up storming off without another word said to Theo,