38

Veronica, Scott, Stiles, Lydia, and Liam were sitting at a table in the library, discussing what they learned between their encounter with the Beast and the Hellhound the previous night and what Mason had discovered about the frequencies, "Mason said it's not just to transmit frequency. It's high-powered-- like, it has to be a really strong signal." Liam explained to them.

"And that's causing it to shift?" Veronica asked, "That doesn't make sense."

Scott shook his head and quickly interjected, "No, I don't think it's just that," Scott spoke up, Last night, Argent said that it's getting smarter. What if the Dread Doctors are trying to make the Beasts grow faster?"

"With frequencies?" Stiles asked, clearly confused.

"No, by shifting," Scott replied, "The frequency is just the trigger. The important part is when they shift into werewolves."

Lydia's eyes widened when she realized what Scott was getting at, "Like Peter." She spoke up quickly.

"Right! Yeah, when Peter was an Alpha, he got stronger every full moon," Scott informed both Liam and Veronica, who weren't there at the time to know what they were talking about, "Eventually, the burns healed, and he was back to normal."

Liam nods in understanding as he put the pieces together, just like Veronica seemed to have already done, "So, the Dread Doctors don't want to wait for the full moon."

"They want the Beasts to be as strong as possible, as fast as possible," Scott explained.

"Because of Parrish," Veronica added in, nodding her head as she finally started to understand.

"So, if this is happening tonight, what are we going to do?" Lydia asked concerned.

Stiles reached into his backpack, which was sitting next to him on the table, and pulled out a crime scene photo, sliding it across the table so the others could see it, "Uh, we've got one clue to go on. This came from the hospital--the people lurking inside the Beasts have an indeterminate size of seven point five in women's shoes and the other has a size ten in men's shoe."

Lydia rolled her eyes and looked at Stiles skeptically, "Indeterminate?" Lydia questioned.

Stiles gave the female banshee a look, "It means it's a partial print. Basically, it was all we were able to get considering all the fire, blood, and carnage..."

Scott looked anxious at the sound of this news, How many size-tens and seven and a half's are out there?" Scott asked his friend.

"Only two with Parrish's blood on the sole," Stiles replied.

Liam seemed anxious as he glanced back and forth between Veronica, Scott, Lydia, and Stiles, "So, are we going to try to get the game canceled?" Liam asked them.

"No. No, we're going to play, but we're just going to hope really hard that it doesn't turn into a blood-soaked massacre." Stiles replied sarcastically.

"Okay, but, umm..." Veronica trialed off as she frowned, "Aren't we kind of missing out on an opportunity to catch these things?" She asked the group,"We don't have the 'who,' but we sure as hell have the 'where' and the 'when.'"

Scott considered this idea for a moment, seeming open to the idea, before sighing in frustration when he thinks it through, "There's too many people."

"And we still don't actually know if it's going to happen." Lydia commented and the whole group gave her a weird look,"It just might end up being a regular lacrosse game. It's possible...right?"

"That's absolutely possible..." Stiles gave Lydia a look that made it obvious that he thought it wasn't going to happen, which causes Liam to bring up his previous point.

"So, we're still getting the game canceled?" He asked them, causing Veronica to groan in annoyance as she gave him an obvious look.

"What do you think we're doing, huh?" She retorted as the whole group up from their seats and went their separate ways.

_______

Later on that night, the pack gathered in an empty science laboratory at School, where they were going over their plan for the evening one last time. Scott, Stiles, Kira, Veronica, and Liam were dressed in their lacrosse uniforms in preparation for the charity game, "Mason, you know your part?" Veronica asked him curiously.

Mason nodded his head in response, "Corey and I break into the Devenford bus and search their shoes."

"I take out the TV vans," Malia added in.

"Right before the whistle, Coach forfeits the game," Stiles informed them.

 "The rest of us are looking for a size 10 and a size seven and a half with a bloody sole."

The group looked at each other for a moment before Malia nervously spoke up, "Just out of curiosity...What if it doesn't work? What if we have to go up against this thing? I mean, I hate to bring up bad memories, but Scott's still healing from what Theo did to him..." She trailed off and Veronica quick to disagree.

The pack all seemed to be worried about the comment except for Veronica and Scott, and Veronica quickly spoke up to ease their minds, "He's not actually."

When the pack looked over at her confused, Scott nodded in agreement, "She's right."  Scott informed the group as he lifted up the hem of his lacrosse jersey to show his chest, which was now all healed up. He smiled shyly as he explained what happened, "It happened the night we got Lydia out of Eichen House. I healed... when we were all together again. When we were a pack."

Liam smiled, clearly hopeful about their chances, "The Beasts doesn't have a pack. They only have each other." He commented.

  "Not like us." Scott nodded his head in agreement to what Liam what had said

  Scott looked around at the others to give one last motivating statement before they split up for their various tasks, "We can do this, guys. No one dies tonight."

  The members of the pack all looked at each other and smiled, clearly much more optimistic than they were earlier that day.