21. SIMON SAYS

Texts sent on March 29, 2017 at 4:12pm:

Simon Idzik: Babe

Simon Idzik: You're never going to guess where I am right now.

Sarah Wong: You should just tell me. I didn't do any work in Texas and I have a long night of catching up ahead of me.

Simon Idzik: Okay, fine.

Simon Idzik: Well, after we got back last night, Hank and I went to see if Cass was still awake. I assumed she'd be dying for human contact. But she hardly said hello.

Simon Idzik: We walked through the door and she immediately launched into questions and rants about whether or not she should agree to go out with Wes.

Sarah Wong: Didn't we see that coming?

Simon Idzik: I know. But you should see how frazzled she was. She likes this guy. A lot. Like, more than I thought she could like anybody.

Sarah Wong: I'm still not surprised.

Simon Idzik: Well right now we're at the SRC, and she's asking him to go to dinner on Friday.

Sarah Wong: Wait, what?! She's going to say yes? Just like that?

Simon Idzik: I think that she wants to be the one to ask him, officially. But yeah.

Sarah Wong: Wow. Are they talking now?

Simon Idzik: No, he's still on the ice. We're on the bleachers waiting for the practice to end.

Simon Idzik: She's bitching about the cold. I don't know what she expected.

Simon Idzik: It's an ice rink.

Simon Idzik: I know it's getting warmer outside but that doesn't change the fact that they need ice to skate and cold for ice.

Simon Idzik: She's clearly nervous.

Sarah Wong: Be nice. This is hard for her.

Simon Idzik: Then why is she doing this to herself?

Sarah Wong: They've been talking for months. And she likes him. She's trying to move on with her life and you need to support that.

Simon Idzik: They've been writing, not talking. And Cassie needs to talk to a professional. Making friends and whatever is fine, but she needs help, not a boyfriend.

Sarah Wong: It's not our decision to make.

Simon Idzik: But am I wrong? She hasn't dealt with any of it, and now she wants to start dating? That's not healthy.

Simon Idzik: Sarah, we've talked about what happened twice. Twice in four years. And it took months to get her there. She's trying to ignore the reality of the situation, and I wish she could, but that's not how it works.

Sarah Wong: You don't know for sure what's in her best interest, nobody does. I think this could be really good for her. She's excited about someone. If it turns out to be a mistake, she's entitled to make it.

Sarah Wong: It's just a date. If it gets serious, then that's up to Cass.

Simon Idzik: Why does it have to be a hockey player? He's nice enough, but I would have preferred that he play cricket or something.

Sarah Wong: Nobody, not even you, can tell Cassie what to do.

Simon Idzik: That's true.

Simon Idzik: I mean I could try, but she isn't going to listen.

Simon Idzik: It sounds like the practice is wrapping up. She told me to make myself scarce.

Sarah Wong: What does that mean?

Simon Idzik: I'm hiding under the bleachers.

Simon Idzik: I think he's sitting with her now.

Simon Idzik: I can hear them talking. The whole team whistled and whooped at them until he told them all to fuck off.

Simon Idzik: Morons.

Sarah Wong: I don't care about the goddamn hockey team. What's happening with Cassie?

Simon Idzik: He sounds out of breath, but they're talking:

Simon Idzik: Hey! You're here. (him)

Simon Idzik: Yeah. (her)

Simon Idzik: Look, I'm sorry if I crossed a line, but I thought I had to at least try, you know? (him)

Simon Idzik: Oh, you're sorry? Maybe I'd believe you if you could wipe the shit eating grin off your face, but you look like you're pretty proud of yourself. (her)

Simon Idzik: Shit eating? (he's laughing.)

Simon Idzik: Okay, I admit they're cute. (me) She's laughing too.

Simon Idzik: I meant what I wrote. (him)

Simon Idzik: I know. (her)

Simon Idzik: So, did you come to see the practice? (He sounds skeptical. Makes sense. Can you imagine Cass choosing to watch a hockey practice for the heck of it?)

Simon Idzik: No, I'm here to make a proposal. (her)

Simon Idzik: Proposal? (him)

Simon Idzik: Yes. But, don't look so excited, it's making me nervous. (her)

Simon Idzik: Right, sorry. Okay, I'm all ears. (him)

Simon Idzik: I liked your last email. I've liked all your emails. (She's tapping her foot now. She's really nervous.)

Simon Idzik: Yeah, me too. (him. He really likes her. I can hear it in his voice.)

Simon Idzik: I'm not an easy person, you know? I'm actually quite difficult. I'm not sweet, or soft, or... I don't know, nice. (her, making a pretty big understatement)

Simon Idzik: (He sighs.) I already know that, Cass. I don't want you to be sweet or easy. I just want to spend time with you and hang out in person.

Simon Idzik: As friends? (her)

Simon Idzik: Is that what you want? You know where I'm at. (him. Where is he at? Do you know?)

Sarah Wong: Listening now, questions later.

Simon Idzik: (She paused and her foot tapping stopped.) Do you want to go to dinner on Friday?

Simon Idzik: Yeah. (He sounds surprised, but happy.) You're asking me out?

Simon Idzik: We'll see. (her. I don't know what she's playing at... she clearly asked him out.)

Simon Idzik: (Now they're exchanging phone numbers and talking about something irrelevant. A guy named Nate from the team.)

Simon Idzik: Where's Simon? I thought I saw him sitting with you. (him. Hey, he noticed me. That's cool.)

Simon Idzik: Under the bleachers. He's probably eavesdropping. (Fuck.)

Sarah Wong: That's what you get for spying.