23. SUBJECT: LAST NIGHT

to: weston.maguire@baderu.com

from: cassandra.belford@baderu.com

subject: Last night

sent: April 1, 2017 at 12:18pm

Weston,

I want to apologize for the way things ended last night. I'm sure you're confused, and your confusion is valid. I acted bizarrely. I wish I had a good reason for you... but I've got nothing. You deserve better, and I should have called you back. Please believe me when I say that I'm sorry.

The thing is, I think I bit off more than I could chew with us. You did nothing wrong. I had fun. It was all perfect; I'm just not cut out for the romantic stuff, you know?

It isn't about moving fast or slow; it's about staying still.

I know it's strange, but my life works for me the way it is right now. My writing, school, Simon... it's limited, but it's comfortable. You're a good guy, Wes, and our time together meant a great deal to me, but it's too much.

I know you might not see it right now, but this is for you, too. You're bigger than I am, and not just physically. You've got so much to give, and you should get the same back. You deserve someone who's in the same place. Someone as good as you. And I'm not.

I hope you understand.

Cassie

. . .

to: cassandra.belford@baderu.com

from: weston.maguire@baderu.com

subject: Re:Last night

sent: April 1, 2017 at 1:38pm

Cass,

Please don't say shit like that, and definitely don't apologize.

It was a great night until I pushed too far. I should have known better, and it's killing me that I upset you like that. I hate myself for making you cry.

I rushed things. I know I did. But please, believe me when I tell you that there's no pressure.

Let me take you out again. I want to prove that this isn't all about sex for me. Not at all. Cass, I think you're beautiful, but my interest in you is based on you---not just the physical stuff. I want to keep talking and I want to make you laugh again. I want to read more of your writing.

That last email felt like a goodbye, and you can't expect me to be okay with that. Please call me back.

Wes

. . .

to: weston.maguire@baderu.com

from: m.onesi@kasiriwelsman.com

subject: Wonderful work!

sent: April 2, 2017 at 3:20pm

Dear Mr. Maguire,

I hope you don't mind that I retrieved your contact information from Cassie. I just wanted to thank you, personally, for your contribution to her edits. I've followed her rewrites closely and can see your combined efforts in her progress.

I'll admit I was a bit skeptical when she first brought us the idea of using another college student for research, but I'm certainly satisfied with the results.