one | volleyball is a drug

Ping

Ping

Ping

As her eyes snapped open to confront the blaring greeting of the alarm clock, Shiori couldn't help but fathom that it was too early to be moving already. Groaning, she tried drowsily to make her way out of the bed but ultimately gave up, collapsing back into the soft heaven instead. If this continued, then there would be no doubt that she would be late to the first day of her new school. Though the thought lingered in the back of her mind, nothing seemed to compare to how much her body screamed for another minute of rest.

Curse those dramas. Was it really her fault that the episode ended on a cliffhanger? Excuse her for submitting to the irresistible temptation of the next episode.

Being late was really starting to seem like a plausible reality for her today, but even if it was, Shiori highly doubted that she would've cared. Unfortunately, there was someone else that lived in this very household that had the same DNA as her running through his veins. It was this very person that was in charge of her well being, and he seemed to care if his sister made it to school on time. It may have been a sibling bond, or simply the fact that he didn't want her incompetence to tarnish his 'flawless reputation.' Either way, she was not going to be late today, not on his watch.

"Shiori, you have ten seconds to wake your ass up or else this bucket of ice water will find its way to your bed."

And with that, she was up. Nothing says sibling love like a threat at the crack of dawn.

Tōru, now satisfied, left after witnessing her 'gracefully' bolt out of bed. Meeting his boyfriend as he stepped out, she could faintly make out his voice as she rushed to get ready.

"Aw, Iwa-chan! I can't believe you waited for me!" Seriously, could they contain their PDA any better than this? It was starting to get a little suffocating.

Still, she was slightly jealous. The aspect of love was something Shiori badly desired. It had been so long since she was able to feel the warm embrace of another's arms around her body. It had been so long since she heard comforting whispers while she sobbed in another's arms. It had been so long since she was showered with love from head to toe, since she was the most precious thing on Earth to someone else.

It's been so long. The thoughts soon started to seem palpable as she began to get caught in her daydream.

A drop of water dripped out of her faucet, splashing a little as it made contact with her sink.

Drip.

The sound was enough to effectively cut off all of her inane thoughts. It had to have been stopped. There was nothing pleasant or dream-like about it.

They only wanted you for your looks, for your body. Nothing else. They would only toy with your feelings... just like he did.

*

Making her way into her new school, Shiori tried desperately to suppress the nerves that were already spreading like wildfire throughout her body. She had spent a minute at maximum getting ready for school today, and it was painfully noticeable. Eyes were drawn towards her, and it was when she took her first step that she realized the absence of her knee brace. Trying hard to fight the pain flaring up in her knee, she walked to class, disguising her limp as much as she could.

Everywhere she walked, heads turned, whispers began, and fingers were pointed. However, the reactions she was receiving were rather split. By gender of course.

The male population stared and gawked as she walked by. Word traveled quickly among the students. Boys raged on about the 'new hot girl' while the girls were infuriated with their new competition. Luckily, despite the number of rumors concerning her, no one seemed to notice that this new girl walked with a limp.

*

"Hello, my name is Shiori. I would like to keep my surname to myself for personal reasons, so if you all may address me by my given name that would be much appreciated."

She bowed and sat down, trying to ignore the surge of whispers and rumors that were surely spreading around the classroom right now. Alas, it was nearly impossible.

But hey, at least the plastic life she led at Aobajōsai wouldn't follow her here. No one would want to approach the outsider, the one intruding on their high school life.

The fake friends, fake classmates, and especially the fake love would end here, at this moment. She had taken care to order a uniform that was a couple of sizes too big for her, just to ensure that her figure wasn't shown. No, she wasn't narcissistic, but she wasn't blind either. Shiori knew that her figure was nice. Wasn't that why there wasn't anyone that would appreciate her for herself? People approached her for her brother or her body. Never was it for her actual persona. And that fact couldn't be engraved any deeper into her skull as she stared blankly at her knee.

Growing up as a naive child, she didn't possess the ability to distinguish between genuine or fake friends. According to her middle school self, it was normal for friends and siblings to sleep together. That was the classic sleepover, right? Fortunately, Shiori started learning the difference between the authentic friends she had, and the strangers that she had foolishly called 'friends'. Unfortunately, after erasing those 'friends' from her life, Shiori was forced to accept the fact that she had no one that she could truly depend on. The only friends she had were, not surprisingly, guys, and to top it off, ones on the Kitagawa Daiichi volleyball team.

Ah-

Volleyball.

That one sport that somehow still has its hands wrapped tightly on her. Volleyball was like her drug. It was addicting. No matter what she went through, no matter how much torture was connected to this one sport, she still found herself eventually coming back to the court.

If there was one thing that Shiori could relate to her brother about, that would be their love-hate relationship with volleyball.

When Tōru had first brought her to his volleyball game, Shiori could see the pride gleaming in his eyes. So when the coaches decided to bench him, she could almost see the desperation and shock scrawled all over his face. He was undoubtedly pained, and as his sister, she could tell that he was demeaning and criticizing himself. Most likely, he was comparing his skill, which was practiced from years of blood, sweat, and tears to the skills of the genius first-year setter.

The Prodigy.

The one who would steal his hard-earned spotlight.

The one and only, Kageyama Tobio.

She knew when she was doing it that it would be cruel to Tōru, but she couldn't just stand by idly. Her brother had needed someone to comfort him during his harsh times, Kageyama needed someone too.

The 'King of the Court' had feelings, and if anything these feelings were forced under a barricade in fear of breaking down completely. Shiori gladly became friends with Kageyama. He was like her little brother, though she never quite told her blood-related brother that. While he was a little bratty, (he was literally in the process of knocking off his vice-principals toupee) she knew he was someone that could be depended on during tough times.

Sighing, Shiori wondered how she managed to get so off track from what she had originally planned to do. Perhaps it was to numb the feelings of going back to a volleyball court again, but her pointless memories would serve no purpose now.

Knowing full well how much she would regret this later, Shiori threw open the doors of Shiratorizawa's gymnasium and stepped in.

***

and so the journey begins

vote ◦  comment ◦  follow

-zhxngyv