twenty five | the captain's pride

"U-Ushiwaka-san?" Kindaichi stuttered, staring at the nationally ranked ace in front of him; a mixture of awe and fear clouding his eyes. "T-This is such an honor, I-I can't believe that I am getting the chance to speak to you one on one like this. I've always w-wanted to tell you that-"

"Save it," Ushijima cuts in, voice taking on a vicious edge. If looks could kill, Kindaichi would have been a pile of bones by now.

Genuine confusion flashes across Kindaichi's face as he takes in the scene in front of him. 

"I-I'm sorry? Did I do something wrong?" 

This only seems to fuel Ushijima's anger, as a murderous glint becomes visible in his dark olive eyes. 

"Have you no shame?" He yells, the rage in his system amplifying the volume of his voice. "Don't you realize what you did to Shiori-chan? Do you feel no guilt for the heinous crimes that you have committed?!"

When Kindaichi continues to sport a clueless look on his face, Ushijima feels fury completely overtake over his senses. 

"This girl" he points, "not only suffers from multiple mental health issues, but a shattered knee cap as well! She loved volleyball! It was one of her passions, yet you took it away from her. You do not get to stand here and tell me that you never swung a tennis racket at her legs!

The gym quiets. 

All conversations halt to a stop as Ushijima's words echo around the large gymnasium. 

All eyes are now on them, but frankly, Ushijima doesn't even seem to notice as he powers on.

"Her kneecap is shattered beyond repair! All because of you!" He surges forward in a fit of rage, snatching a fistful of Kindaichi's jersey in an iron grip and pulling their faces closer until they are just inches away from each other.

"Do you still want to act indifferent?" He snarls. "Well?! Do you? Because if you do then-"

"What bullshit," Kindaichi scoffs, causing Ushiwaka to falter in his rant. He falls silent, and listens to what Kindaichi starts to say.

"You don't know a thing about me and here you are spouting all these lies and rumors. You've only heard one side of the story, and you've already chosen a side? How naive."

He glances at Shiori then back at Ushijima. 

"Besides," he continues. "Who is she to you anyway?"

Ushiwaka freezes, mouth opening and closing yet nothing coming out. 

Kindaichi smirks, lips lifting into a lopsided smile knowing now that he's found a weakness.

"So? Why don't you tell me? Who is she to you for you to say these kinds of things to me? I'm her ex-boyfriend. We used to be in love before, so unlike you I can actually understand Shiori-chan's feelings."

He winks at her. 

"Isn't that right Shiori-chan?"

Shiori automatically takes a step back and her body starts to tremble as the nostalgia and memories begin to overwhelm her senses.

This was just like what used to happen before. 

Whether it was intentional or not, Shiori was inching closer and closer to Wakatoshi, as if she were trying to use him as a shield.

A shield against Kindaichi that is. 

"She's someone precious to me."

Shiori's whips her head up in shock, mouth dropping open and eyes widening. Kindaichi has the same reaction.

"Shiori-chan is someone precious to me," Ushijima repeats. "And I won't stand idly aside when harm comes her way."

Kindaichi draws back, unease settling across his face as his plan starts to crumple in front of him. 

"This girl?" He says dubiously. "You must be joking."

Ushijima replies firmly. 

"I am not." 

And now, it is Kindaichi that is frozen, mouth opening and closing like a fish. 

"Now that I've met her, I don't think I could go back to living without her presence. During our practices she's gradually become someone that our team depends on. She's like our backbone; someone that's always striving to do anything she can to help us. It could quite possibly be some mundane task like handing out water bottles or towels but she'll always deliver it without fail. 

I've even watched some of our team members go to her after a particularly harsh scolding from our coach. They know she would never judge them for showing her their insecurities or weaknesses, and it is for that reason that they are able to cry openly. She never pries, just holds out her arms to us.

This team has dealt her problem after problem, yet she still continues to smile and offer support. We owe her; especially I, as the captain. You may be her ex-boyfriend. You may be a player from a powerhouse school. But you are still my junior and a novice. If you say another word about Shiori-chan in that manner, I won't hesitate to report you to the authorities.

You should know that in the volleyball sphere, my name is quite notorious. I will warn you now not to challenge me if you desire a future career in this sport. There will be no more warnings after this."

Kindaichi pales instantly, taking a shaky step backward before nodding in understanding. 

Even he knows that this is a losing battle. 

Ushijima turns to grab Shiori's wrist, pulling her with him as they start walking back to the rest of their team. 

They all sport varying looks of shock, shame and pride. 

Shocked that their manager had such a past behind her. 

Shamed that they knew so little about the person who supported them the most.

And prideful that their captain had defended Shiori so well. 

They didn't realize how eloquent their captain was.

These thoughts however are broken when Ushijima decides to speak up one last time before they are able to exit the gymnasium.

"Kindaichi-san," He calls out. "I would advise you not to talk back to your senpais. After all, they've had more time to learn about this world than you have had. Therefore, they also know how to treat a women right."

The look that becomes of Kindaichi's face is hard to describe. 

It is a mixture of surprise, humiliation, rage and a flurry of other emotions all painted on a firetruck red canvas. 

It is a look that Ushijima commits to memory as he pulls Shiori out of the gym and back to his side. 

***

oh my this is definitely a chapter that was written at 2am

vote ◦  comment ◦  follow

-zhxngyv