three | i regret everything (damn it)

The six members looked at each other, not exactly sure what they should say. Technically speaking, the members didn't have the authority to allow a girl they just met to become their manager. Still, that didn't necessarily mean that they couldn't influence their coach. The task, however, was not going to be a simple one. There was still a glimmer of hope for Shiori. The decision laid in the hands of fate now.

*

Their coach, Washijō-sensei was a strange man. While watching his team play, his hawk eye would be able to pick out any kind of imperfection, criticizing it immediately. When it came to volleyball, he was strict and power-hungry (although not necessarily in a negative way), doing whatever was necessary to achieve victory.

He knew teenage boys. He knew their thought process, the way they functioned, and the way their hormones were wired.

So when the members had first asked for a female manager, he had bluntly rejected.

"Hormones simply get in the way of volleyball," he claimed. "How are you to play at your full potential if you're busy ogling at the manager?"

The team was quite offended when they heard his declaration. Were they really just a hormonal bunch of teens that possessed some volleyball skills in the coach's eyes? Nevertheless, they couldn't really argue with the coach's logic, no matter how much they wanted to disagree.

The members knew that if Shiori was to be given the position of manager, then she would need to be able to help them on the court. But after taking into account the scene they had just witnessed, they weren't sure if that would ever become a reality.

*

"Can you play volleyball?" Semi asked. "Do you play regularly?"

Shiori pursed her lips, knowing that by answering this question she would doom herself. If she said that she could, then they would definitely try and test her skills. But if she said that she didn't, then there would be no way to secure this spot.

Her internal squabble was of no use. She would just have to deal with the pain.

"Yeah, I used to play as a setter." She replied, purposely leaving out the fact that her brother, one of the most sought after setters in the prefecture was the one that taught her.

Her reply sparked the attention of the group. A setter? It wasn't that Shirabu was a bad setter, because he was the regular setter for the team. But, with a team so heavily centered around their attacks and spikers, they were always on the lookout for more setters during practices.

"Can you play with us for a bit then?" Tsutomu asked, a little bit too excited that a girl was going to be tossing to him.

Shiori shrugged, knowing full well that her knee would be murdering her tomorrow, but ultimately deciding to just suck it up and deal with it.

She walked over to the center of the court, taking care to make sure that her limp was not noticeable. She got into position, glancing over to see who she would be setting up first.

Holy mother of- I'm going to toss to that hot ass snack first?

Shiori gulped, hoping that her face wasn't flushed red as she focused her eyes on the ball coming towards her.

*

It seemed like everything melted away when she was on the court. Perhaps it was for this reason that Shiori enjoyed playing volleyball, why she always came back to this sport. When she played, nothing mattered. It was just her, the ball, and the teammates supporting and playing with her. Anything else dissipated like clouds after heavy rain.

And so they played.

Shiori set it.
Ushijima hit it.

The cycle continued.

They must have been playing for over an hour by now. Shiori had lost track of the number of times she had set to the boys, and her knees made that fact painfully obvious. It must have shown, as Ushijima, instead of throwing her a ball, made his way over to her.

"Shiori-san, are you okay?"

The rest of the members stopped what they were doing and looked over at her. She looked tired, but nothing else really looked wrong. But upon closer inspection, they noticed how red and sweaty her face looked. Now, it was natural to sweat after practicing, however, Shiori looked as if she had just run an entire marathon. She was sweating too much.

Of course, Ushijima would be the one to notice. He had been the one that was practicing with her the most.

Carefully, he led Shiori over to the benches and proceeded to pull up her skirt, just enough to expose her knees.

Shiori had been so distracted by the pain that she hadn't even noticed what he was doing until it was too late. She rushed to try and pull the skirt down, but the damage was already done. Everyone had seen the red and swollen mess on her leg.

No one spoke.

Ushijima got up, disappearing for a minute before coming back with an ice pack and towel in hand. He wrapped the ice pack inside of the towel before gingerly placing it upon the throbbing knee.

Shiori winced, but nevertheless, kept still as the ice worked its magic. Soon, the swelling died down, and she was able to breathe with ease again.

"Why didn't you tell us that you were injured?" Ushijima whispered, his voice a little raspy.

Shiori stared blankly at the team, noticing the genuine concern in their eyes. She sighed, 'these people are a little too caring for their own good.'

"I wanted to be your manager because I deserved the spot, not because of pity. Although, I suspect that it doesn't really matter now. It seems that everyone has seen my injury and reacted accordingly."

The team stayed quiet. Was it out of embarrassment? They weren't sure, but they knew that she spoke the truth.

Shiori sighed again, "Thank you all for giving me this opportunity at least. I enjoyed playing with all of you, and I wish you luck this year in your tournaments."

Again, the team remained silent. It was hopeless. There was no way their coach would accept someone that was injured to be their manager. Sure, she was a talented setter (almost a little too talented), but that wouldn't excuse the injury, and it sure wouldn't excuse the possible 'distraction' her body posed.

The entire team begrudgingly admitted this.

So when Shiori stood up on wobbling knees and hobbled towards the gymnasium's exit, no one stopped her. No one could stop her.

At least...

Not yet.

***

vote ◦  comment ◦  follow

-zhxngyv