five | jealousy isn't flattering, darling

Walking in was terrifying.

But the thing is, Shiori didn't really know why she was feeling that way. The coach had offered her the spot, the team liked her (or so she hoped), everything was fine.

So what was stopping her from opening the door and walking in?

Shiori ignored the dull throbbing of her knee as she pulled open the door, trying to the best of her abilities to erase all of her doubts and hints of regret that were threatening to bubble over.

*

"Ah, I'm glad to see that you came," the coach greeted as she walked in. "I was starting to think that you had bailed on us." He let out a hearty chuckle.

Shiori nervously laughed along.

As if fate was on her side today, she was soon saved when she heard a familiar voice call out her name.

"Shiori-chan! Can you set for us?" Tendō yelled out.

She nodded but signaled to give her some time to sort her things first. After putting down her bag and making sure her knee brace was on properly, she made her way over to the net.

Shiori didn't think that it would be a big deal if she played with them. However, it seemed like that simple request stirred up quite a bit of shock and confusion in the gymnasium. A few members turned to her with their mouths wide open. Shiori did a brief survey of the room.

Ah. Of course. It was quite obvious that there would be a bit of confusion in their eyes, but mainly jealously had overtaken the room. As her eyes continued to survey the room, she could easily decipher the thoughts that were conveniently plastered all over their shell-shocked faces. It was what Shiori would call, the four 'w's.

'Who is she?'

'Where did she come from?'

'What is her relationship with the regulars?'

Oh, and of course:

'Why is she playing with the regulars, when I've trained longer than she has?'

Technically, Shiori had been playing volleyball since her brother picked it up. He had been quite persistent on having a 'bumping buddy' as close to him as possible.

Jealousy is highly contagious. Once someone is taken over, others immediately contract it. It was quite evident right now. Athletes who had spent their blood, sweat, and tears at volleyball for years were being overlooked for someone new. Logically, Shiori was most likely a manager, but to them, she was one that was probably only given the position for her looks.

Shiori was feeling more and more glares piling up on her back, and the pressure was falling down on her intensely. Oh, how the other athletes couldn't wait for her to publicly humiliate herself when she played with the talented regulars.

They weren't the only ones. The girls that regularly came to "observe" the players in order to improve their own skills (as so they claimed) were nearly burning with jealousy as well.

'How come she was able to touch the same ball as them? Especially Ushijima-sama! Why couldn't I be the one laughing and playing with the team down there? What does that girl have that I don't? Obviously not the looks!'

They all watched eagerly as the ball was thrown up to her. Was it going to slip through her hands and hit her in the face? Or was it going to be set up, only to be brought down upon her head due to faulty aiming? Either way, she would surely have karma brought upon her head instantly. Justice needed to be served.

Much to their utter shock and disappointment, neither of those happened. Rather, the ball had been in her hands for a split second, before heading to the waiting palm of Ushijima.

It was... undeniably a flawless set. Onlookers watched with their mouths wide open. It wasn't an ordinary toss. No, it couldn't be. The set up was done so perfectly, that a simple glance shut everyone up. The gym was silent except for the slight tap of the ball on the floor. Even to the regulars who had already seen the set being done before, they had only one word that was able to fully describe what they had just witnessed.

Elegance.

Shiori's nimble fingers wrapped around the ball at just the right areas, allowing for absolute and perfect control. Her body was positioned in a way that even amateurs could tell that her form was a work of art. The connection between Ushijima and Shiori was almost as if they had played for eons together before. She knew where to set it for a perfect match, and Ushijima was able to put his complete faith and trust into her.

When did she meet Ushijima again? Even though they were present when they had first encountered each other, the regulars still found it hard to accept the fact that both of them had met only a mere day ago. Both of them played like cogs in a machine. Always moving in synchronization, not a hint of doubt in the abilities of the latter.

While it was unbeknownst to her, Shiori's simple actions had earned the respect of each member on Shiratorizawa. Now that did not come quite easily nor did it come very often. But when it came to her, it was plain to see why she was an exception.

It was quite rare to encounter such a talented setter. To them, the only setter with enough skill to outshine hers was the captain of Aoba Johsai. The notorious playboy, the one with fangirls chasing after him night and day just for the chance to breathe the same air as him. The player with serves powerful enough to cause a hundred eighty turn in the atmosphere of the court just by a single swing.

The one and only Oikawa Tōru.

While none of them knew of her relationship with him, the similarities were uncanny. During a set, both of them shared the same beautiful form, and in addition, an observant eye. The two of them even had similar knee problems. Although Shiori's came from something other than volleyball. Or, to be more accurate, someone else.

*

Shirabu was beginning to envy her tosses. The seed was planted when Shiori had first walked into their mini-game, but now it had sprouted.

How could they be so meticulous? And delivered with such precision? He wondered if he should ask or not, but his pride ultimately won over. What kind of regular would he be if he had to resort to asking the manager for tips on tossing? The manager was supposed to fill water bottles and welcome guest teams, not teach the players how to do one of the most basic moves in volleyball.

Yet, there was some underlying curiosity that came to Shirabu from watching her play. Shiori's moves were not one of an amateur, they had obviously been developed through years of training. But if she possessed such skill, why hadn't he heard of you before? Her talent was definitely enough to bring her global fame. Even watching a single game would be enough to leave the public hungry for more.

But to Shirabu, the most peculiar thing about her was her hesitance. After observing for a while, he noticed that whenever she made contact with the ball, Shiori almost seemed terrified to stand on the court. It was almost like she couldn't be recognized while playing volleyball.

But none of that made any sense! If that was the case, and she was trying to keep her identity undercover, then Shiori would need to be famous enough to attract attention. Or at least be recognized upon closer inspection. But the problem was, she wasn't known. Shiori had no fame, no fans, and most importantly, no reason to be hesitant. Right? So why?

Just what was she trying to hide from the Shiratorizawa Volleyball Team?

***

vote ◦  comment ◦  follow

-zhxngyv