The Other Dixon (1x03)

Rick P.O.V

The ride back was somber & quiet as Morales instructed me. He tried to calm my nerves about leaving Merle but the revelation of a brother: Daryl, didn't help. Glenn's driving helped distract me as he zipped around the back roads with the alarm blaring. Liliana slept in the back next to Andrea who offered her shoulder as a pillow. That made my day seeing her so peaceful which Morales noticed.

"The girl, you're very protective of her. Who's she to you?" Morales asked

"You noticed. She's a stranger but she & her group saved my life when I woke up. I promised to keep her safe as we looked for our families. I hope that I can still keep my promise." I replied

"Rick if you can pull off a rescue, I'm sure that you'll both find your families. I can't imagine the pain of being separated from mine in your shoes. Maybe someone in the group is from your area & might know." Morales offered as we entered a wooded area

A large crowd had gathered around Glenn, who had found a way to silence the alarm. The people were too far away to distinguish faces. Once the car was parked, everyone began to exit but Liliana stayed with me. I took a moment to collect myself as everyone happily reunited before stepping out. Liliana held my hand as we stepped out & I saw three ghosts. I couldn't believe my luck as I found my best friend Shane & my family. Carl began sprinting towards me as I slowly caught up to him. We hugged for a while before I joined Lori & we all happily cried. Shane just smiled in disbelief at my return the entire time.

Liliana P.O.V

I couldn't believe Rick's good luck as his family was apart of the group. I slyly let go of his hand when his son ran up to him. Glenn kept me company as I gave Rick some privacy. Dinner were individual bonfires which showed how massive the group was. I was prepared to sit with Glenn until Rick ushered me over to join him. I nervously walked over as I sat next to him & his family. He began to recount his first few hours to the new people: Dale, Amy & Shane.

I didn't realise how much in the dark his family was until his son, Carl, mentioned them thinking he was dead. Rick didn't blame Lori but I caught her glaring at Shane. Shane guiltily looked down in response & akwardly accepted Rick's thank yous. Dale sweetly tried to fill the silence which made me smile. The mood was soured with Ed being stubborn as he made his fire bigger. Shane angrily got up to deal with it but was sweet to Carol & Sophia.

"Have you given any thought to Daryl Dixon? He won't be too happy to hear that his brother was left behind." Dale reminded him as he sat down

"I'll tell him. I dropped the key. It's on me." T-dog offered

"I cuffed him that makes it mine." Rick reminded him

"I helped restrain him." I added which made everyone else quizzically stare at me

"Guys, its not a competition. I don't mean to bring race into it but it may sound better coming from a white guy." Glenn chimed in

"I did what I did. Hell if I'm going to hide from it." T-dog rebutted

"We could lie?" Amy suggested which would only make things worse

"Or we could tell the truth. Merle was out of control. Something had to be done or he would have gotten us killed." Andrea retorted, finally adding something logical. She turned her attention to Lori, " Your husband did what was necessary & if Merle got left behind then it's nobody's fault but Merle's."

"That's what we tell Daryl. I don't see a rational discussion to be had from that. Do you? Word to the wise, we're going to have our hands full when he gets back from his hunt." Dale added, making us all nervous again