Chapter 7

|| gwen ||

Harry had called me the other day and asked me on a date. Like, an actual date. I was shocked and surprised but definitely elated. My friend Sara helped me get ready. I saw this coming of course, endless texting, calling, and tweeting. Of course he liked me, usually all boys did. While Gabby was the pretty one, I was the flirt, the confident one. I guess boys were just drawn to my confidence.

As I got ready, my older sister Mackenzie called me. She now lived in California and was married. "Hey, Mac," I said as I put on lipstick.

"Hey, Gwennie, listen I heard you have a hot date tonight. A celebrity," Mackenzie said.

"Yeah, Harry Styles. Can you believe it? Well, it's actually not that hard to believe but I'm mean, it's like a dream come true, you know?" I said, smacking my lips together.

"So just warning you, celebrities are.....I dunno celebrities. Just be careful, okay? Plus he's a teenage boy so his feelings could change," She snapped her fingers on the other end "like that."

I rolled my eyes. As much as I loved Mac, she was too....cautious sometimes. It helped here and there but this was Harry Styles. I knew everything about him. 

At least, I thought I did. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

|| harry ||

I was about to pick Gwen up for our date when Louis stopped me. "Wait, Haz," He said. 

"Hm?" I turned around and leaned against the doorway. "What is it? I need to pick up Gwen."

Louis took a deep breath. "Haz, it's been almost a month since you last heard from Gabrielle. You basically ignored her and moved on to this Gwen person that, as I see it, you barely like. I mean, you were crazy about Gabrielle. Why're you giving up now?" 

I looked down at the floor. "Now's not the time to talk about this." I said quietly.

"But just open your eyes! You're in denial. To hell with this garbage act. I want the real Harry. You've been aloof and, and just different since you last spoke with Gabrielle. Face it. You need her. You need her and you just won't admit it." Louis almost yelled at me.

I looked at him for a minute. "I need to go." I said and walked out the door.

Louis might have been right but there was no way of fixing things now. Gabrielle was just another girl of my past. She didn't feel the same way I felt about her. Loving her was just delusional. I needed be realistic. Gwen seemed like the most realistic thing at that moment. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

|| gabrielle ||

It had to been almost a month since my disaster phone call with Harry. Since then, I've traveled and learned a lot about the world. But still, everywhere I went I saw his face. He and his band were just so popular. Thinking about him only made me feel horrible.

Nicolette had decided to take me to a party in Manchester. "Everyone is going," She had said when I asked her why I had to. So we got dressed up and got a taxi to drive us over there.

Nicolette chatted to the taxi driver as we headed to the party. That gave me time to think about things. I did most of my thinking in the car. 

I had read somewhere that Harry was seen getting "close" a fan backstage at their concert. The fan had looked somewhat like my old friend Gwen. 

Gwen had dumped me as her friend when we were about 15. I looked up to her. She probably thought I was too much of a hindrance to have at her side. I was devastated of course but I accepted my fate as an outcast. Then she moved to New York and I never saw her again afterward. 

But we had shared so many laughs and memories. It was just sad thinking about her. 

"We're here, Gabrielle," Nicolette said and grabbed my hand. We stepped out of the taxi to all of the lights and people and noise. We showed our IDs to the bouncer and he let us in, winking at Nicolette who rolled her eyes.

Nicolette pulled me onto the dance floor where we stayed for about an hour or so before she wandered off, looking for cute guys. I went to get a drink at the bar. 

"You really are a charmer," A girl said with a familiar voice followed by a laugh I had known so well.

I turned around and when I saw her, I wish I hadn't.