Chapter 1: Sharing the Good News

Melanie and Brian decide that Brian is going to tell Sal and the people at IJ about their engagement and she'll fill her mom then Caroline in next weekend when she goes home. Wanting her mom to know first. Brian walks Melanie to her door, dropping off her bags and kissing her before heading out "I'm seeing the guys tomorrow, I'll call you after. I love you."

"I love you, too." She returns as he leaves.

At breakfast the next morning, the guys talk about some skits they want to plan for the jokers cruise. As they finish their meals and the bill comes, Murray grabs it, being his turn to pay. "Okay, I've got some news" Brian spits out.

"Well, let's hear it" Sal says back, figuring he's going to say something about a show he has lined up or something to do with one of the podcasts.

"Melanie and I are getting married." He says back, not wanting to drag out the suspense.

"What?!" Joe almost screams.

Murr adds "you're gonna give it another shot? Way to go, man!"

Joe again "Congrats, I'm so happy for you."

"Thanks guys" Brian replies, unable to stop the smile as his friends congratulate him. But he knows he hasn't heard anything from his friend Sal yet, Melanie's boss. He just continues to let his other two friends smile and talk as they get up and leave the diner. They walk a few steps together before Joe and Murray both give their best friend a hug, another congratulations and walk away. Brian turns around with his arms open and says to Sal "alright man, let me hear it."

"What?" Sal replies back, still biting his tongue.

Brian shrugs "you're too quiet, we knew you'd have something to say about this. Come on, let me hear it."

Sal shakes his head "I mean, I'm happy for you man. Both of you." He pushes his hand out and the two shake then quickly hug.

"Thanks ma--" Brian replies but Sal adds on, not letting him finish.

"But don't you guys think you're moving a bit fast?" Sal says what he was trying so hard not to say. It's not that he doesn't want his friends to be happy, but they just got together and they both have their own issues they have to deal.

Brian shakes his head. He knew Sal would have something to say but he sure was hoping he'd just keep it to himself. But then again, what kind of friends do that? He says back "I've been in love with her for months, she's the one man."

Sal nods "I get that but what about her? She was dating that douche Marcus all Fall. Are you sure you're ready to do this again?"

Brian replies, knowing Sal is referring to being engaged. He answers him "its not again. What I had with Emily is nothing like what I have with Melanie. Melanie would never cheat on me, she's been there, she knows the pain and--"

Sal interrupts "I know man, I know. I'm not saying that she's going to cheat on you or anything I just wanna make sure you two know what you're signing up for. I mean, have you guys even talked marriage before this weekend, or kids or anything like that?"

We start to walk together and I inform him "we talked about everything this weekend. And we agreed on everything we talked about. She's it man, she's the one women I'm meant to be with."

Sal just shrugs, unable to argue with that. He tells his friend "well, then don't fuck it up man." He smiles, and the two share one more quick hug before walking off together talking about their shared podcast.

_________________________________

Melanie went to church with her mother next Sunday and then to lunch afterwards. As they sat waiting for their food, she decides to break the news "mom, you know Brian and I are back together right?"