Chapter 12: Working

Melanie walks into work and almost everyone looks to her with wide or concerned eyes. She looks around for two faces in particular. Sal and Brian. She doesn't see Brian but she see's Sal. He was one of the only people who didn't look up to her when she walked in. She walks over to him, sitting at her desk and says "can I help you with anything?"

"What?" He looks up, shocked to see her. He stands up and goes to hug her "what are you doing here?"

She accepts his hug and returns "just ready to get back to work."

"Are you sure? You can take all the time you need." He replies, feeling as if she's coming back to work too soon.

She shrugs "you gave me enough days off. Besides, whose going to plan your trip to Los Angeles if I don't?" She smirks with curiosity.

"You know about that?" He eyes her with a squint.

She nods "I read through a bunch of emails on the way over this morning. This is huge for you guys! I can get working on your ticket right now."

Sal opens his mouth, about to say he's not sure if they're going but he closes it before the words slip out. If they don't go, Brian should explain why to her. It's ultimately coming down to him. Instead, Sal says "why don't you just answer some older emails and I'll let you know about the tickets. We still need to discuss a few things."

"Sounds Good!" She smiles and nods once. She steps around him and he moves so she can sit in her chair.

Sal leaves the room to make a phone call "what's up, bro? I was just going to stop by Melanie's before coming by. I'll be there in less then an hour." Brian says when he answers.

"She's here, Q." Sal simply explains to him.

"What do you mean? At work?" Brian asks to clarify.

Sal nods even though he can't see "yah, and she's been checking emails already and knows about LA. She seems okay though. Like totally fine."

"Fine?" Brian repeats the word. He wonders what fine looks like and tells his friend "alright, well I'll be there in like 15 I guess!" He hangs up and stuffs his phone in his pocket.

When he gets the office and walks inside, Melanie is head down into her computer, typing away at something. Brian walks over to her and whispers "hey, I was coming by to bring you breakfast but you beat me." He drops a bag with a donut inside on her desk then asks "what are you doing here? Sal said you could take more time."

She doesn't even look up for more then a second to meet his gaze. She replies "I want to be at work. Being home and alone would make me miserable. I should be here. I missed a lot of work as is."

"But it's understandable why you've been missing work. Shelly and Lenny have been helping, we'll be okay for a few more days Mel." He tries to explain further.

She scowls "I'm over it, I just want to get back to life." She lifts her eyes to him "get back to us, and planning our wedding."

Brian doesn't know if he should be concerned, relieved, worried or what but he can't lie to himself not feeling something good hearing her mention their wedding. He was really worried that she was going to push him away and not even realize she was doing it. "Well, I don't think you can just say you're over it but if you want to come back to work, I can't stop you. And I won't, but we're all still here for you."

"Ugh, I know." She utters "you've told me a thousand times." She realizes how harsh that came out and sighs, looking up to him "I'm sorry, that was rude. I know everyone cares, I'm just kind of tired of hearing that every hour of every day."

He gives her a smirk in response, and tells her it's okay "it's fine babe, I'll see you in a bit." He leans down to kiss her on the head and heads over to talk to the guys about L.A. "so, what's with the quick trip to LA, why are we in such a rush?"

Joe answers "Permits we're pushed through faster then anticipated. We can wait another few weeks but the studio for the film wants to talk now."

"Well, we should go then!" Murray nods "this movie can be huge for the us. We shouldn't chance it."

Brian adds "I agree, but I don't think it's a good time for me to be leaving New York."

Sal calmly argues "we need you there Q. We all did this together, they're gonna want you there."

"I can FaceTime during the meeting" Brian shrugs.

Joe supports his friend "hey, if you feel like you don't wanna go then don't. But you could also invite her to come along."

Brian mulls the idea over in his head. Maybe a small vacation would be good for her. Maybe it'll help her open up. "I mean, we could do that." He starts to nod his head up and down slowly "yeah, I'll tell her about it at lunch." He pauses for a moment then claps and says loudly "get your tickets boys, we're going to LA!" They all clap and laugh and high five and hug, celebrating their success.