Chapter 7: Gone

Everything appears to run smoothly as guests start to arrive to pay their respects to Jane before the service. It's a good turn out as far as vigils are concerned, a lot of people in and out. Melanie and Brian shake so many hands and both meet so many people. Melanie actually smiles a few times, even laughing twice at a story an old childhood friend of Jane's told. It's finally time for the service part and after a priest speaks, Melanie goes up. She hesitates when she's about to start but eventually gets out "I just want to thank everyone for coming today. It's an honor to see how many people my mother touched in her life and to hear all the wonderful stories you all share with her. My mother was a strong women, someone I always admired and looked up to. After my father left us, she was on her own. She struggled but only because she wanted to give me everything. She didn't want to leave the neighborhood I was growing up in, leave behind the friends I was making. They turned out to be life long, like the ones she has." She looks to a women sitting in the front row with a gentle smile. She then continues "I used to think my father leaving us was the worst thing that ever happened to us but I look back at it all now as see that it was the best. My mother and I's relationship was solid. We only had each other for so many years and we built a trusting relationship not everyone can say they have with their mothers." Brian adjusts in his chair just a little at her words but she goes on "she will always be the strongest person I know, and I hope I can emulate her strength as I move forward in life. Thank you all again for coming." She wraps it up suddenly and Brian looks behind him to see what she's staring at.

In the back of the room, just walking in is Marcus. He walks in with his mother and younger brother to pay their respects. Melanie walks off from the front of the room but not to Brian, instead she heads directly towards Marcus. Brian stands, hoping there aren't too many eyes on her or him and tries to catch up to her. Brian reaches her just as she leans in to hug Marcus's mom "thank you so much for coming."

"Of course honey, we loved your mother." She replies back as she hugs her softly.

Melanie pulls away and hugs Marcus' brother as Marcus states "we are so sorry for your loss."

Brian's blood boils inside of him and he's fighting every urge to reach out and knock him out. "Thank you." Melanie says, retracting her hug from his brother. Marcus doesn't move in for a hug though, instead thrusting his hand out to shake hers.

Surprisingly Melanie takes it and shakes it. Brian stands close behind Melanie though, wrapping an arm around her shoulder to show Marcus how close he is and to not try a damn thing. When their hands separate, Marcus' family has already moved on to pay their respects up front but Marcus puts his hand out to shake Brian's "I'm sorry, truly sorry." Is all he says.

Brian scoffs and pushes past him, uttering out "yeah, right." As he drags Melanie along with him. Melanie allows this and the two leave the room and find a quiet corner where he can ask her "are you okay?"

Melanie simply shakes her head up and down "I'm fine."

"Are you sure? I can't believe he's here right now!" Brian replies, looking over her shoulder.

She assures him "honestly, he's the least of my worries right now. I'm just ready for this to be done so we can leave."

Brian wraps her into a hug and rubs his hand up and down her back "Alright, yeah." Is all he can think to utter back. All she needed to do was shake her head no or let a small cry out and he would go in there and drag Marcus out of the building and kick his ass. The police have had no luck with getting enough evidence on the assault to arrest Marcus, they've even warned Brian to keep his own distance from him, hearing about the fight at the wrap party. But Brian knows how fragile Melanie is right now, and he can't be making things worse for her right now to ease his own anger.

Luckily, Marcus, his mother and brother only stay long enough to pay their respects before leaving. Melanie and Brian are the last to leave and are assured she will be transferred to the church before the service tomorrow. Brian drives them to her mothers house after picking up some Chinese food. Melanie sits at the table, picking at some noodles as he eats some chicken. Brian's now fully given up on trying to make small talk during meals. He has tried to get her to eat more but she usually just lashes out at him. The next day, Melanie and Brian go to the church and greet everyone before the service. Jane has a typical Catholic ceremony and the priest gives a great liturgy. Melanie has Brian help as a pallbearer and once the casket is placed in the back of the car, he meets Melanie in the car behind it to follow behind the vehicle. When the funeral is over, everyone heads over to Caroline's mother's house who is hosting an after service. Melanie thanks Mary-Anne and Jim for hosting and wanders off to try and hide from talking to everyone. Brian manages to remember a lot of the names of the people he's met the past two days and thanks them all for coming. Joe and Sal arrive together, and he heads straight to them "thanks guy for being here today."

He hugs each of them momentarily and Sal returns "of course man, how's Melanie doing?"

Brian shakes his head "not so great, she's shutting me out and I don't know how to help her." He opens up.

Joe answers "just give her some time, she'll open up to you when she's ready."

Brian nods his head "yeah, I guess. I just hate feeling like I'm useless to her. And this whole thing with the note is driving me crazy, I don't know what to do." He says back, whispering out the second part.

"Still haven't figured out what you want to do?" Sal questions.

Brian nods "I mean, I know I'll give it to her just no clue when. And after her speech yesterday about her dad leaving her being the best thing for her, how do I justify not giving it to her sooner?"

Sal adds "well, she'll understand you just didn't know when the right time was."

Joe agrees "yeah, just don't wait too much longer."

Brian nods and see's someone else he should go talk to so he tells his two friends he'll see them in a bit. Meanwhile, Melanie sits in her friends moms room and looks down at a picture of the two of them from their first vacation ever, it was one Melanie had them display at the funeral. Her mom couldn't afford to take her to Disney World so she saved up everything she had and took her to Hershey Park. Caroline enters the room and closes the door behind her slowly "hey Meli, how are you holding up?"

Melanie exhales and answers "I don't know. What do I do now, how I do move on from this?" She questions without looking up to her friend.

Caroline takes a seat next to her friend and replies "I can't say I know, but I'm here for you."

Melanie lets some tears fall as she says "and I feel so bad because I am trying so hard to let Brian be there for me but I just can't open up to him. He promised me that 2018 was going to be good for me and now look where we are."

"Melanie, you and Brian are engaged, that's a good thing." She tries to encourage her friend, make her feel better.

But Melanie says back "but now my mother is gone and won't get a chance to see me get married, have children, get old. It's just all a sick joke. I was the happiest I've ever been and now that's all gone."

Caroline tries to stop her train of thought "come on, you know that's not what this is-"

Melanie quickly keeps going, not letting her go on "how so? You know, I was happy with Skylar then he cheated on me. Then came Brian and he broke my heart. Then there was Marcus, who's actually crazy and abused me. I got back with Brian but Marcus tried to ruin that and then I get engaged and my mom dies. How is any of this fair?"

Caroline rubs her friends back, knowing she's not thinking rationale and says lowly "it's not fair but it's life. I'm sorry babe, I know this is hard but you'll be okay."

Melanie just wipes the tears from her face and thanks her friend "Yea, I know. Thanks Caroline."