Chapter 3: Not as Planned

Melanie's mom calls the next morning "mom, where have you been I've been calling and leaving messages all week!" She tries not to scream into the phone as she tiptoes out of Brian's room.

"I'm sorry honey, I just needed some time. Why don't you come to church on Sunday and we can talk at lunch." She replies back calmly.

"Okay, sure. We'll come to church and lunch." Melanie answers back.

Her mom doesn't hesitate when she responds "oh, honey, I really need it to just be you. Is that alright? I promise that you and Brian can come by next week together."

"Are you being serious? Mom, Brian and I are engaged, you have to accept that." She argues, not believing she's hearing what she's hearing. She knows her mom isn't happy but to tell her he can't come to lunch is rude.

Jane replies "I'm coming to terms with it, I am. But I need to talk to you, just you. Can we do that? Just you and me?"

Melanie sighs "fine, I'll meet you for dinner. I'm not coming to church." She somehow believes this will hurt her mom the way she's hurting her.

Jane allows it "alright, I'll see you Sunday. Love you honey."

"Love you, too." Melanie says and they hang up.

She goes back into the room and Brian is rubbing his eyes "who was that?" He gets out in a yawn.

She crawls back into bed and lays on his chest "my mom, she wants me to go back to Jersey on Sunday, talk again."

"Well, that's good. Isn't it?" She can hear his curiosity in his tone.

Melanie exhales, running her hands up and down his side "yea, but when I tried to tell her you'd be coming with me she told me she just wants it to be me."

"Oh" Brian adjusts underneath her just a little "well that's fine, she probably just doesn't want to talk you out of marrying me right in front me."

She knows he is joking but doesn't laugh, and feels the need to clarify anyway "no, come on. My mom loves you. She's just being weird."

Brian assured her she's okay "I know, I'm kidding. It's fine." He sits up now, adjusting his pillow so it's against the headboard and suggests "well I'm filming the podcast in Red bank tomorrow, we could head over to the beach house and spend the weekend there" he brings her around so she's straddling on top of him "we can make some new memories in that place."

His eyes glimmer with lust and he rubs his hands up and down her sides. She smiles but has to decline "I promised Sal we would calendar out April tomorrow, so I can't go tonight." She leans down and whispers into his ear "but you can always go and I can meet you there when I'm done." She nibbles on his earlobe.

"And what will we do once you meet me?" He asks, and she already feels him hardening further underneath her.

She sits up and moves to lift her top off "why don't I give you a preview."

"Just a preview?" He pouts, sitting up to kiss her mouth.

She allows him before answering between them "I have to go to work."

He growls but flips her over, getting on top now "then why don't I do the work" he smiles "I don't want just a preview, I want the whole thing." His hands already start to move south.

"I won't argue, some of your best work is done in a hurry" she replies.

He pauses and gives her a painful expression "what are you saying?"

She explains "I said some of, not the best."

He squints his eyes at her but answers her back "I'll give you the best tomorrow at the beach house, I promise you that."