Chapter 10: Overwhelmed

When Melanie wakes up she opens her eyes to see Brian laying next to her and looking at her "how long have you been awake?" She asks with a scratchy voice.

"20 minutes?" He offers back, not sure how long exactly he's been up.

She turns so she's fully facing him, putting her hand under her cheek "I'm sorry I've been such a wench this week."

Brian reaches his hand out and rests his thumb on her cheek "there's no need to be sorry, I can't imagine what you're going through."

She goes on and asks "can I ask you a favor?"

"Anything." He promises.

"Can we just not mention this letter to anyone?" Brian goes to open his mouth but she keeps going "I'll read it, and soon, but I just need to finish this house stuff and the finance stuff before opening a whole new can of worms."

Brian whispers back "look, I understand and that's fine but I kind of already told some people about the letter."

Melanie's jaw clenches, but she takes a big inhale and asks "who?"

"The guys, Bryan and Caroline. I'm sorry I just needed some input."

She exhales her breath out of her nose but tells herself not to get angry "Alright well, let's just not talk about it until I'm ready. Can we do that?"

"As soon as the house stuff and finance stuff is done, you'll read the letter?" He asks. He doesn't want her to push this away and never revisit it again. He needs her to accept whatever her mother did or didn't do and see what her father wrote to her.

"Yes" She assures him.

He gives her a small encouraging smile and kisses her on the forehead "why don't you go shower and I'll make you some breakfast."

Melanie replies "didn't they pack all the plates and stuff?"

Brian gets up "I'll make something work!" Brian catches just a glimpse of something in her eyes as he goes to leave. It may not have been happiness, or relief, but maybe it was just a bit of contentment. However, it showed him that she's still there, and that she'll be okay. As he moves around some of the boxes to try and find a pan to cook some eggs in, he hears the shower go on. He finishes the eggs and waits for her at the table. He waits for another 30 minutes and the shower is still running. He decides to go check to see how much longer she'll be and when he opens the door he hears the sobs of her crying "babe?" He calls into the bathroom. He walks further in and see's her sitting under the water, curled up into a ball and crying. "Ohhh, Mel." He hums and walks towards her.

He opens the shower door and turns the water off. He steps in and squats down in front of her. She looks up and says to him "I miss her so much."

"I know honey, I know." Is all Brian returns with "come here" he moves to scoop her into his arms and carry her out of the bathroom. As he steps out of the bathroom he manages to grab a towel and he sits her down on the bed and wraps the towel around her.

She cries "sorry, it's just so hard being here."

"You don't have to be sorry, it's okay." He rubs his hand up and down the towel on her back "this is hard, it's going to be hard. You can cry whenever you need to, I'm here for you."

"Thank you. I just feel so bad, I've been such an emotional bitch and it's not what you need to be dealing with right now." She sniffles her nose "I don't even know what's going on with your podcasts, or Sal's shows! Shit, is he mad?"

"What? No, no, not at all. Don't worry about him or me, we're all here for you. And I told you before, you don't need to be sorry." He tries to assure her again.

She nods and just looks around "I don't know Brian, I thought I'd want to wait to read the letter but I can't stop thinking about it."

"Whatever you choose to do, I'm here for you." He replies.

She half smirk smiles and says "thanks. I'll get dressed and come out to eat whatever you made. I'm actually pretty hungry."

"I'll go warm it up!" He stands and kisses her on the forehead.

Melanie gets dressed and brushes her hair before heading out into the kitchen. Brian gives her the plate and sits down next to her. When she's done, she says "thanks babe, that really hit the spot."

"So, what do you think you wanna do today?" He asks her next.

She breathes out through her nose as she thinks, but quietly says "I think I want to pack everything up and head home tonight. Is that okay?"

"Of course" he replies looking around "but I'll probably have to have Sal or Joe come and pack up one of their cars with some boxes. We got a lot of garbage and donation ones."

Melanie nods and snickers back "call Joe. Sal will just complain about everything dirtying up his car."

Brian chuckles but agrees, and he gives her a smile "you're right, I'll call Joe." Brian calls his friend a little while later to ask if he'd be able to come and help them out. Joe agrees and tells them he'll be over after he checks out of the hotel. After packing everything into both cars, Brian and Joe discuss dropping everything off and agree that Joe will just come by Brian's tomorrow morning and the two will take everything out of his car. Brian thanks his friend "thanks man, Melanie just wants to go to her apartment and crash. I really appreciate all your help."

"Of course man, anytime. You can call Bess and I anytime." He leans in to give me a hug.

"I know, thanks." Brian hugs him back. He calls to his friend and he walks away "see ya tomorrow!!" When Brian gets back inside he finds Melanie just staring into the living room. All the trinkets, photos and smaller items are gone and only furniture remains. He wraps his arm around her shoulder and asks lowly "you ready to go."

She nods slightly "yeah, let's go."