Part 4 - Jughead

Mom touched my cheek, "W..what happened there?" She had stuttered staring at the bruise. I had thought about telling her what happened, but she was already so upset so I lied.

"Oh...I just fell over at Archie's." Mom nodded and I knew she didn't quite believe me, but I didn't want to make things worse. 

                                                                  ***

"Juggie!" It was the early hours of the morning and I groggily sat up after Jellybean had shaken me awake. 

"What is it, Jellybean?" I sighed with irritation and gently rubbed my head. "Dad's home." Jellybean said shakily.

A look of fear crossed my face. "Why aren't you asleep?" I hissed, pulling her up to the couch from her makeshift bed on the ground.

"Dad woke me up." Jellybean whispered crawling closer to me on the couch. "Okay, just be quiet and pretend to be sleeping." I whispered back, shutting my eyes tight.

"Good morning kids." Dad slurred, the scent of alcohol thick on his breath. I heard his boots stomp over and Jellybean moved her head ever so slightly towards me.

He shook Jellybean violently spilling some beer on the couch, but I stopped him by sitting up. "What the hell do you want?" I still sounded tired and definitely not confident. 

"Sorry, just wanted to hear how my kids are." My dad tried to give me a smile, but clearly the grouchy frown on face stopped him. "It's literally 2 am." 

I continued, still slightly tense. "We're 14 and 8, we don't stay up past 11 pm like Blackula." Dad ignored me and pointed at my face. 

"What's that?" He asked with a puzzled look upon his face. "It's a bruise." I said condescendingly. "How'd that happen?" Dad sat down on the coffee table and took another swig of his beer.

"You." I sputtered blankly. He was drunk the previous night and clearly didn't remember hitting me clean across the face. 

Dad narrowed his eyes and walked towards the bedroom, tripping over a couple of chairs on the way. I fell back on the couch with a sigh. 

"Dad did that to you?" Jellybean mumbled, snuggling closer. "He was drunk, doesn't matter just go to sleep, Lil' Bean." I muttered as I fell asleep.

                                                       ***

I woke up pretty early the next morning so I automatically shuffled to the kitchen. Even though it was early Mom and Dad had already left. I pulled out some cereal out of the cupboard and poured myself a bowl. 

I think I woke Jellybean up because a few minutes later she came skipping into the kitchen. "Morning Jug!" She let out a bright smile that soon infected me too.

This was one of the things I loved about Jellybean. She could forget about every worry in the world and be genuinely happy no matter what. 

"G'morning." I said with a mouth full of cereal. "Pig." Jellybean chuckled and grabbed the cereal box.

"Mmm." I frowned and reached for the cereal box with a sad look on my face. Jellybean sighed and handed it back to me after eating a hand full.

"I'm going to get changed, don't eat all the cereal." Jellybean glared at me, backing towards the bathroom. "Wo gawentees." I said, my voice still muffled.

I heard Jellybean start to run into the bathroom, not wanting to miss out on the cereal. My mood was always bright around Jellybean.

She ran back into the kitchen a few minutes later, Jelly's signature bow tied into her ponytail. "Don't forget we're going to the drive-in tonight with Archie, Kevin and Patty."

"Patty?" I said cluelessly taking another scoop of cereal. "Kevin's sister." Jellybean said as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

"Oh sure." I replied remembering her face. "Also I think Archie invited Betty." Jellybean smiled and winked at me. 

I rolled my eyes and blushed, "Come on, let's head out. I have a present for you later." Jelly squealed and we walked out towards Archie's house.