Chapter 6 - Jughead

Jellybean shrieked right in my ear as Ghost played on the big screen. I put my arm around her and she put her face into my shoulder.

"I didn't know we were watching a scary movie, Jug." Jellybean whispered, but Patty said loudly. "This is not scary Jellybean, it's funny." 

Kevin rolled his eyes and Archie laughed. I sighed and nudged Jellybean. "The movie's almost over." I watched Jellybean slowly pull away from me as the credits began to roll.

"You right Jellybean?" Betty asked from the other side of Jellybean. "I'm fine, probably." Everyone began to get off the back of the pick-up truck and I grabbed the last handful of popcorn before jumping off too.

"Dad said to wait by the food stand." Kevin said to Patty as they walked off. "Does my dad need to take anyone home?" 

"Nah I think we're walking, but thanks." Archie grinned at Kevin. I never really talked to anyone other than Archie and Betty so this evening had been a bit weird.

I fell in line to walk with Archie and Patty ran up to Jellybean. "You were terrified! You're such a scaredy-cat."

Kevin gave a sympathetic look to me at his sister's lack of politeness, but I ignored him and walked up to Patty. "Don't be so rude, she's allowed to be scared." 

"It's still stupid." Patty mumbled and I grabbed Jellybean's hand. "You're eight, don't act so high and mighty." I began to tow Jellybean towards the exit.

I gave a half-hearted wave to Betty and Archie as we left and I also noticed Patty looked a little upset. 

"Thanks for doing that Juggie, but it's fine." Jellybean murmured, looking guilty as she too glanced back at Patty. "It's not okay for someone to be rude to you Lil' Bean."

We continued to walk down the sidewalk and Jellybean stayed silent. "Do you get bullied at school, Jelly?" I asked hoping for a different answer than what I heard.

"A bit." Jellybean said in a small voice. "Oh god, Jellybean. Why didn't you tell me?" I spluttered squeezing her hand. "Because I don't care what they think."

I couldn't help but smile, even though I wanted to pummel whoever insulted Jellybean into the ground. "You're such a cutie." I began to tickle Jellybean and she sprinted off.

I reached her easily and lifted her up, still tickling her. I placed her back down and she gave me a playful frown.

We reached Sunnyside Trailer Park a little later than I thought we would, but Jellybean started running towards our trailer.

She tripped on a rock and landed in the grass. I rushed towards her, but she stayed face first in the grass. "Jelly?" I shook her and she burst up with a 'roar!' knocking me down.

"Aw you cheater!" Jellybean pinned me down and I pretended to be helpless. She let me up and we were almost at the trailer when she realised her knee was bleeding and her ribbon was gone.

"I'll get your ribbon and you head inside and get a band aid." I said pointing towards the trailer. The lights were off so I assumed no one was home. 

That was the worst assumption I had ever made...