Chapter 7 - Jughead

"Jellybean don't forget I still have your present." I shouted towards the house as I scanned the ground for her ribbon.

"Okay!" She shouted back and I heard the lights click on. I saw a slight, sliver of light shine on her pink ribbon. I bent down and picked it up before heading back to the trailer.

"Oh, hey dad." I heard Jellybean's voice sound kind of anxious. "Jell-bean!" My dad's slurred voice sounded from the trailer, it sounded angry. 

"He did it!" I began to walk faster. "W-what dad?" Jellybean croaked. "He fired me!" Dad roared and I heard a smash and a shriek.

"Oh crap!" I ran and slammed open the door. "Jelly!"

My dad was grinning at one side of the room and had picked up another beer and Jellybean was right next to the doorway on the ground holding her head, which appeared to be bleeding.

She was crying and she glanced up at me. "It hurts, Juggie." There were glass shards all around her. I gathered her in my arms as quick as I could and ran outside.

I grabbed my phone out of pocket and held Jellybean with one arm and used the elbow that had my phone to hold her head.

"Mom...come on, pick up." Her phone went to voicemail, so I dialled Fred Andrews. "Mr Andrews..." My voice didn't sound normal and clearly Mr A picked up on that.

"What's wrong, son?" I began to walk back towards the front of Sunnyside. "It's Jellybean...I don't know what happened, but her head's bleeding...and..." I took a breath and sat down, placing Jellybean gently on the grass.

"Do you need me to drive 'round and take you guys to the emergency room?" Fred asked and I could hear his keys jingling on the other side.

"Yes, yes...please." I fretted, breathing heavily. "Breath deep, Jug and keep pressure on her head. I'll be there soon." I heard him shout Archie's name before disconnecting the call.

I ripped the bottom of my shirt off and held Jellybean's head, applying pressure with the rag. "Jug, it still hurts." She squeaked and moved her hand away from her head. "Is mom coming?"

I shook my head and grabbed her hand. "Mr Andrews is, mom didn't pick up." Jellybean's face fell even more and she squeezed my hand.

                                                                    ***

After about 10 minutes Mr Andrews arrived with Archie in tow and I grabbed Jellybean, still holding the rag to her head, and ran over to the car. 

"Jelly..." Archie said with fear dripping into his voice. "She's fine." I snapped, pulling her closer to me. Jellybean winced slightly, but she was still okay by the time we arrived at Riverdale General.

The car pulled to a stop and I pulled Jellybean out, gently. She twined her arms around my neck and I brought her inside the hospital with Archie and Mr Andrews on my heels.

A nurse approached us almost immediately and instructed me to follow her. We entered a consulting room and I placed Jellybean on the bed. 

I stood right next to her clutching her hand, I looked more scared than she did. Archie and Mr Andrews stood in the doorway.

"Sweetheart, you need to let go of her. I need to examine her." The nurse said kindly, pulling my wrist away from Jellybean. My face was pained as I backed off a smidge.

The rag I had held to her forehead was stuck with blood. "What's your name, sweetie?" The nurse asked and I finally realised that Jellybean hadn't said anything for a while. 

She was crying when she responded. "Jellybean J-Jones." The nurse gave a sweet smile and pulled the rag off her forehead. "I'm Summer, is that your daddy?"

Summer motioned to Mr Andrews, that only made Jellybean cry harder. "N...no!" I went to walk over, but Mr A held my shoulder.

"I'm a friend of the family. The raven-haired boy is her brother." Mr Andrews said as Summer inspected the deep cut in Jelly's forehead. 

"I figured, but I need parental permission to stitch her head."  The nurse replied, "I'll clean up the wound first." She began to check Jellybean's cut, but paused.

"Is it bad?" I croaked, swallowing the lump in my throat. "It's not as bad I as I thought it would be." I sighed with relief, but she continued. "But there is some glass stuck in it."

"I'm going to call mom." I left the consulting room and almost fell to the ground. My breathing became shallow and was almost in tears when Archie came out of the room.

"Jughead, hey, she's fine." Archie assured me bending down to help me. "Y..you don't know what happened." I took some deep breaths. "Dad...he t-threw a beer...a beer bottle at her."

"What?!" Archie tensed up. "He -- I don't know what to do." I mumbled and Archie helped me up.

"Call your mom. Get her to come here." Archie said and then continued. "You can get your dad arrested."