Chapter Three

I'm awake, as usual, quietly watching infomercials on Vic's TV. I'm trying to distract myself from my depressing thoughts.

It's hard when my best friend, the love of my life, is upstairs pressed against some creep.

How can he say he loves him? They barely know each other. How could they move so far in their relationship in such a short amount of time?

I snap myself out of my thoughts again and try to focus on the TV but I eventually find myself thinking about Vic again.

Tears begin falling down my cheeks. Vic's never once hurt me yet all he seems to do is make me cry. God, I love him. Why can't he just see that? Why can't he reciprocate that?

I have to remind myself that this isn't Vic's fault and I have no right to blame him. He can't read minds. I should have told him I loved him. I've had ten years to do it. I'm such a fucking coward.

The more I think, the more I consider that there might be something wrong with me. I mean, obviously I don't meet Vic's standards.

I hear footsteps down the stairs. I can instantly tell its Carter. Vic's footsteps aren't so slow and heavy.

Fuck I've even memorised what his footsteps sound like.

I try to compose myself as I listen to Carter go into the kitchen and get a glass of water from the tap.

I'm not expecting him to come to the living room but he does so I quickly wipe my eyes.

"Hey, is everything okay?" he frowns.

"Fine." I sniff, pulling my knees to my chest and wrapping the duvet tighter around myself.

Quite intrusively, he sits on the sofa next to me. I guess this is his house and he can do what he likes.

"Do you want a hug?" he asks me, opening his arms wide.

"No." I answer simply.

He drops his arms and smiles at me.

"What are you doing up?" he asks.

"Watching TV." I mutter. "You?"

"Drinking water." he chuckles, gesturing to the glass in his hand. He takes a sip then sits it on the coffee table.

He moves closer to me and I look away from him. I'm so pressed up against the arm of the sofa that I can't move anymore.

"You overreacted earlier." he tells me matter-of-factly.

"How so? You stared at my ass like a pervert, degraded me then acted like nothing was wrong." I snap. "I think I reacted accordingly."

"It was a compliment. You're too sensitive." he chuckles.

I roll my eyes and he shifts even more closer to me once again.

"I wanted to talk to you about something. It's regarding Vic." he admits.

The shear mention of Vic makes me look at him and I suddenly realize just how close he is, too close.

"What is it?" I question.

"Do you know anything about a vow Vic made when he was a teenager?" he frowns.

I instantly know what he's talking about.

"His vow of abstinence? What about it?" I ask skeptically.

"Is it a religious vow?" he questions.

"No. Vic's not religious. But you should know that already." I mutter.

"I do, obviously!" he says defensively. "I'm just confused as to why anyone would be abstinent until marriage if it's not a religious commitment."

Vic and I had taken a vow of abstinence after my parents split up. I had confessed to Vic that I was worried that I was going to fuck up like they did, give myself to the wrong person. After seeing how much that affected me, Vic suggested that we vow to not lose our virginity until we're married. That way we know that when we finally do give ourselves to someone, we know they're the right one. Both Vic and I have maintained our purity to this day.

"If he hasn't explained it to you then obviously he doesn't trust you enough to tell you." I point out.

He ignores my statement.

"Do you think he'll make an exception?" he asks.

"No, he's kept this vow for ten years. Why would he give that up for you?" I mutter.

He chuckles and slips his hand under the duvet, placing it on my  thigh.

"You're so hostile. It's very attractive." he chuckles.

I decide to just ignore the comment.

"If you're looking for a sexual relationship, find someone else. Vic isn't going to fuck you." I spit.

"I can wait." he chirps.

I frown confused.

"Wait? Wait for what?" I ask.

"Until I marry him. I'm going to marry him." he smirks.

"You barely know him." I snap.

"Fuck you're hot." he breathes.

The air leaves me lungs as he pushes me back onto the sofa and pins me down.

I go to scream for Vic but he puts his hand over my mouth.

"Shh, I'm just playing." he grins.

He kisses the back of his hand that is the only thing separating our lips. He then slowly removes it and climbs off of me.

"Goodnight, Kellin." he smirks.

He leaves the room and I listen to him stomp up the stairs.

I notice that my heart is beating rapidly and I'm shaking. What the fuck was that and what am I supposed to do about it?

I mean, I have to do something, right? My best friend is dating a fucking sexual predator.

But on the other hand, Vic is happy and I don't want to fuck that up. Besides, would he even believe me if I told him?

Maybe I should just keep this to myself for the time being. After all, I can't be a homewrecker because I find Carter creepy. That's not fair on Vic. And honestly, I'm probably just jealous.

Part of the reason why I've avoided Carter and Vic since they began dating was so I didn't get tempted to screw things up for Vic. I can't selfishly ruin his relationship then still not have the courage to confess my love for him. What kind of a friend would that make me?

I feel my mind slipping away and I begin to wonder if Vic would even care if I broke that promise I made all those years ago.

I lay back on the sofa and wrap the duvet around me. I turn off the TV and the room falls into darkness, as does my mind.

--

Will be updating every Sunday!