Chapter Seven

I feel frazzled when I go into work and put on my apron.

I can't get last night out of my head and it's really taking my focus.

I find my place behind the cash register and look beside me to see Gabe baristaing again. He's looking back at me concerned but I shake off the look and then to the woman in front of me who is waiting to order.

When the business of the cafe slows down and I find myself with no customers, I look around and find a crate to sit on. My thighs and ass are killing me. Standing is not helping. Maybe Vic's right, with my physical pain and my lack of focus, I shouldn't be at work.

"Hey, you okay?" Gabe asks frowning at me.

"Fine." I smile.

"You look like you got jumped." he says.

"No, I'm fine." I assure him.

He narrows his eyes at me and squats down so he's level.

"Your friend's boyfriend was a little aggressive that night he came in. He hurt you?" Gabe questions.

My heart leaps to my throat as I shake my head.

"No, no, he's cool. I'm okay. Just tripped down some stairs." I smile meekly.

He sighs, seeming skeptical.

"Well if you ever trip again and need help getting away from those stairs, I'm always here to help." he says slowly. "There's also law enforcement and helplines to assist with staircase accidents. And if this was a one time trip, maybe on your way home, the police can still help."

I know what he's hinting at. I'm grateful, but I need to protect Vic at all costs. I can't tell anyone, and no way can I go to the police.

"Seriously man, I'm okay." I stress.

He just stands back up and nods.

"But thank you." I whisper and he smiles sadly at me.

A customer soon comes in and I get back to my job.

Work feels longer than usual and I really wish I could be anywhere else.

Finally my shift is over and I'm just about to knock off when Nancy and Leon, my coworkers, walk through the door.

"You taking over?" I ask confused. It's Sunday. We close at 2pm on Sunday's.

"No, Jack called us in. Meeting or something." Leon frowns.

I'm confused but take off my apron and hang it up. Gabe turns over the "Open" sign to "Closed" and we wait. A few more people pile in, people that I don't usually work with but have seem around between shifts and whatnot. And eventually Jack shows up.

We all stand around until Jack clears his throat and begins talking.

"I've called this team meeting under unfortunate circumstances. A month ago, a thousand dollars went missing from the store. I passed it off as a miscalculation of funds but this week two thousand more dollars has disappeared." Jack explains.

His gaze lingers on me for a second then it darts across the room.

"The culprit will be caught. If it was you who took the money and you own up to it in the next week, you will be suspended without pay. If the culprit does not come forward before they are found out, then you will be fired on the spot. Is that understood?" he says sternly.

There's a chorus of 'yes's from the room then Jack clasps his hands together.

"This meeting is dismissed." he calls, then looks directly at me.