Chapter Twenty-One (Final)

"Sir, you can't be here." A nurse says, trying to push me away as I hurry towards Carter's bed in the intensive care unit.

"He's my brother!" I lie quickly.

The nurse hesitates and looks at me.

"Do you have ID on you?" he asks.

"No, I left it at home. I just want to see my brother. Make sure he's okay." I say pleadingly.

He sighs and nods, then lets me pass.

I hurry to Carter's bedside and find him conscious. His face is swollen and absolutely covered in gashes and bruises. But thankfully, most of the damage seems to be superficial.

Part of me feels empowered seeing him in such a vulnerable state. I don't feel weak or scared of him for once.

"What do you want?" he hisses as I sit down in a chair beside the bed.

"I want you to drop the charges against Vic." I tell him.

He just laughs at me.

"Why would I do that?" he chuckles.

"You know this isn't Vic. He wouldn't hurt anyone. He just reacted." I choke out.

"He hurt me." he mutters.

"You love him, don't you?" I sniff.

Carter's silent after that.

"If you love him then you'll do what's best for him. Vic doesn't deserve to go to jail. You must know how sweet and caring he is. You should have seen the look on his face. He was horrified at what he did. He didn't mean to do it. He just lost himself." I explain.

"Is he okay?" Carter squeaks out.

"I don't know." I whisper. "He's at the police station."

Carter falls silent once again. He stares at the ceiling in thought and soon turns to me.

"How's you head? I was coming to check on you earlier." he mumbles.

"It's okay. I just got a little cut and a mild concussion." I explain.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to do that." he mumbles.

"It's understandable. I crashed your wedding." I shrug.

"You did the right thing. You were right. Vic is much better off without me." he whispers. "I'm dangerous."

Neither of us say anything after that. Carter looks back to the ceiling.

"I'll drop the charges if you swear to never go to the police about what happened between us." he says.

It sickens me that he can't even say it. He can't even say that he raped me.

I don't have to think about my answer though.

"Okay, deal." I nod.

"You're stupid." he mutters. "How do you know that I'm not going to hurt you again?"

"I don't. But Vic is important to me." I murmur. "I'll take the risk."

"He deserves you." he whispers ever so softly.

There's another tense silence between us.

"So will you?" I ask nervously.

"Will I what?" he says confused.

"Will you hurt me again?"

He shakes his head.

"As soon as I'm out of here, I'm leaving town. You won't have to see me ever again." he murmurs.