Chapter Thirteen

I'm floaty and giggly as I try to pay the cab driver for dropping me off at home.

"No, I'm not saying that you're not handsome, I'm saying that I already think someone else is handsomer than you." I say giddily to the driver as I lean in the window. He's been flirting with me the entire drive home and I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it.

"Well I hope whoever that is knows how lucky he is to have you. You have a good night, Kellin." the driver smiles kindly after handing me back my change.

I wave at the nice man then stumble my way up to my front door.

I've had a really good night. I haven't had one bad thought at all since I started drinking. Why did no one tell me alcohol is the magic cure for all life's problems?

I open the door quietly and sneak into the house then carefully and quietly close the door again.

"Where have you been?"

I jump as I hear the sound of Vic's voice. I turn around and find him and Jenna giving me disapproving looks.

"I was, I was out." I stammer like it isn't obvious.

"It's almost three in the morning! We were both here waiting, worried sick about you!" Vic exclaims.

"Pshh, I'm fine!" I exclaim happily. "I had a good night. Off to bed."

I cringe at the thick slur in my voice but try to play it off and just go to bed,  but I find it extremely difficult to walk in a straight line towards the stairs.

I try to head up the stairs but I lose my balance and almost fall down. Thankfully, Vic catches me.

"You're the handsomer man." I giggle, looking up at him.

"What?" he frowns.

"You're lucky to have me."

Vic's face falls and I'm worried I've said something wrong.

"Are you, are you drunk?" he ask me worried.

"No, I'm Kellin." I snort, not bothering to pick myself up. I don't think my legs will let me stand anymore

I lean back in Vic's arms as I begin to feel tired.

"Jenna, he's drunk." I hear Vic say alarmed.

"Are you sure?" Jenna asks in disbelief.

I just stare up at Vic, taking note of how handsome he really is.

"Kells, what have you had to drink tonight?" Vic asks me.

"Red Bull!" I exclaim.

Vic looks relieved and I start giggling again.

"An-and vodka!" I shriek.

"How much have you had to drink?" he asks me.

"Like four or five, or six, or seven, or five." I tell him trying to tally up my drinks in my head but there were just so many.

"Has he eaten today?" Vic asks Jenna and she shakes her head. "He's drank countless drinks of vodka, mixed with Red Bull on an empty stomach, not to mention this is his first time drinking–he's extremely drunk. I don't think he can even walk anymore."

"I don't know what to do with him anymore, Vic." Jenna sniffs.

"Oh no, Jenny don't cry." I frown but then immediate start laughing. "Jenny! I just called you Jenny!"

Vic sighs and lifts me up in his arms so he's carrying me which immediately makes me dizzy.

"Vic, I want to go to bed." I whisper, leaning my heavy head against his chest.

"I'm going to take you to bed." he whispers as he starts climbing the stairs.

"Yay." I grin, closing my eyes.

Before long, I feel the mattress under me then I feel Vic begin removing my shoes.

"That tickles." I snort, retracting my foot from him.

"Get some sleep." he whispers.

I nod and rest against the pillow with my eyes closed, almost falling asleep until I feel my shirt being pulled up.

I'm immediately alert and sitting up. I push the hands away, completely forgetting their Vic's in the moment.

"Stop, I don't want to do that. I can't." I stammer out as a lump gathers in my throat and tears start dripping down my cheeks.

"Kells, you've got something spilt on your shirt, I need to take it off." Vic tells me as he takes the hem of my shirt again but I can't comprehend that in my panicked state of intoxication.

"Please, I can't do it. I won't." I sob, beginning to get hysterical.

He drops my shirt and stops touching me which causes instant relief.

"Kells, it's me, it's Vic, your best friend." he coos softly.

I sniff and look up at him, needing the clarification.

"Handsomer man." I whisper, wiping my eyes.

"Yeah, handsomer man." he chuckles, pushing a piece of hair behind my ear.

I can't help but to smile at him. His presence makes me feel a lot better.

"Why did you take the rohypnol, Kells? Why did you get drunk? This isn't like you. Heck, I don't even remember the last time you were like you." Vic whispers sadly, all the while, running his fingers through my hair.

"I don't want to feel anymore." I whisper. "It hurts too much."

"Why are you hurting, Kells?" Vic asks softly.

I don't want to answer the question so I don't.

"My bear. Where's my bear?" I sniff.

Vic looks around quickly and looks surprised when he finds my bear in two pieces with the stuffing falling out.

"Oh." I frown, remembering what happened.

"What did he ever do to you?" Vic chuckles lightly.

I giggle but then pout when I realize I have nothing to hold.

"Be my bear?" I pout pleadingly.

Vic's eyes soften and he pulls back the covers.

"How about you be mine?" he whispers, laying down and pulling me into his arms.

"Okay." I whisper contently as I close my eyes.

Being in Vic's arms makes me feel something I haven't felt in a long time. It makes me feel safe.

And even though the alcohol is wearing off and has lost its initial effects, and even though I'm not taking a sedative tonight, I'm able to rest easy as its only thoughts of Vic that intoxicate my mind.