Swear It

Zach's POV

  I was still looking at Hannah though, not really caring about this stupid game.

  My eyes shifted back to her, Clay was leaning in.

  I just followed my instincts and paced quickly to the hot tub.

  "Hey guys, mind if I join in?" I asked, the anger clear in my voice.

  "Not at all." Clay mumbled, obviously still annoyed I ruined his moment.

  "I'm going to the bathroom." Hannah said as she walked away.

  "Listen, Zach, you don't deserve her so let's just cut the crap and let her come to me." Clay threatened.

  "If she wants you, she'll come to you," I said, "I'm not afraid of you, Clay."

  He shook his head in frustration and walked away.

  "Hey, where did Clay go?" A voice interrupted my thoughts.

  "Oh he just wanted to clear his head." I lied.

  I know she's doubting me.

  But she just nodded.

  "Hey, Hannah? What did Clay say to you?" I asked, not resisting the temptation to ask her.

  "Just some shit about stars." She lied, "I know when you lie, Hannah." I told her.

  "I don't know, can't really remember." She lied again.

  Frustrated, I just gritted my teeth and gave up, knowing I'd never get an answer to that.

  "Hey, let's just get out of here," I suggested, breaking the silence, "This party sucks anyways."

  "Zach, I want to stay here." She whispered. I felt my head start to boil.

"Why? Is it because of Clay? Because, Hannah, if you want to be a fucking slut, go ahead." I shouted, frustrated at her words.

I saw tears in her eyes and instantly regret what I had just said.

My eyes soften, I hate seeing Hannah hurt like this. But I did the hurting.

"Hannah, I" I said before getting interrupted by Hannah, "Don't fucking come near me again." She whispered, getting out of the tub and putting her clothes on.

"I'm sorry." I said, "I didn't mean it."

I quickly put on my shirt and tried to catch up with her.

She started walking away from the house, hair and clothes wet, tears running from her eyes as I started my car.

I caught up with her and rolled the windows down.

"Hannah, get in the car." I told her.

She didn't listen and kept walking.

"I said get get in the fucking car!" I shouted.

She jumped slightly and whimpered, "Why? So you can treat me like I'm some sort of possession?" She asked, a crack in her voice.

"Is that how you think of me?" I asked, bewildered.

She hesitantly nodded, how could I have treated her like this?

I really don't deserve her, but I could try.

"I'm sorry. I'm going to be a better boyfriend." I said desperately. "Swear it on... your future marine biology career." She asked, unconvinced.

"I, Zachary Dempsey, swear on my future marine biology career, to be a better whatever I am to Hannah Baker, I am going to give her my best." I said with my right hand up.

She giggled and said, "Fine. But I don't completely forgive you, I'm just lazy to walk all the way to my house." She said, getting into my car.