Chemistry Arguments

Something clicks in Jungkook's mind when he was busy lazing around and staring into space.

He looks to the side to see Taehyung playing Scrabbles with Yoongi.

"Tae-hyung," he called.

Both turn to him in curiosity.

"I just remembered something," he said.

"That's new," Yoongi comments. Jungkook chooses to ignore it since he wants to tell what he remembered.

Taehyung on the other hand looks excited and proud. "Uh-huh what is it?"

"Did you know your stage name is actually an element in the periodic table of elements?" Jungkook revealed.

Both older ones are shocked, but Taehyung was mostly delighted.

"Really?" A nod from the maknae. "What is it?"

Jungkook shrugged. He feels kinda sorry since Taehyung's smile dropped. "Sorry hyung I can't remember."

The smile is back and Taehyung said "I guess that's okay. We can just search it up in Google."

"Your turn Tae," Yoongi told him boredly. His eyes flit to the maknae. "Shut up and watch how the Genius does it." His rare smile graces his face and Jungkook finds himself smiling as well.

Seokjin's head then pokes inside the living room and he walks fully inside to sit beside Yoongi. "Did I hear 'elements'? C'mon throw 'em at me."

Jungkook gives him a bored look. "Seriously hyung? I was just telling V-hyung how his name is an element. It just came to me. Like I suddenly remembered."

"And that's a miracle in and of itself hyung," commented Yoongi as he and Tae continue their game. Seokjin sniggered while Yoongi grinned. Jungkook pouted and Taehyung ignored them all.

He looked up at the rapper. "Hyung it's your turn."

"Oh mine already?"

Jungkook gets a thoughtful look on his face. "But I can't remember what element it is."

Seokjin sits up straighter. "Then let's make a bet. Whoever guesses correctly treats Jimin to ice cream."

"Why Jiminie? I can buy him patbingsoo too," Tae told them.

Seokjin merely gave him a glance and turned back to the youngest. "Deal?"

He stays silent before "One question: why Jiminie-hyung? I have no objections but you could've just-"

"Okay so no-"

"No okay fine I agree!"

The two eldest shared a sneaky smile. Before Seokjin could open his mouth to speak Taehyung suddenly exclaimed "Oh wait I remember something from my Chemistry class back in high school." The other three curiously look at him. Seeing he had their attention he continued "I think I was third year that time. Um... there's this thing called alkane and when you number it there's a specific word. Like, there's methane for one, ethane, decane, nonane and all. And you know what number five is?" They stay silent. "It's pentane and I joked 'Isn't that the shampoo?'"

There was silence and Yoongi groaned. Jungkook slapped his forehead and Seokjin's laugh bounced around the room, wide shoulders shaking with mirth.

"That's Jin-hyung's job oh my gosh," Jungkook groaned. Taehyung was even grinning and sharing high-fives with the eldest who said "Brilliant Taehyung-ah!"

Yoongi groaned some more. "Oh my God Tae that was horrible."

"Wait wait there's another one!" he said excitedly, bouncing.

"No no please don't," the rapper says. "Spare my ears."

Still Tae didn't listen. "This one came from a good friend of mine. Number six is hexane. Isn't that what we do after we inhale?"

Seokjin laughed again, this time face and ears turning red. Jungkook made a sound that was like a groan and a laugh but he didn't know what to do so he settled for banging his head on the wall. Yoongi was seriously done and hit Taehyung's shoulder lightly.

"My gosh that was the most excruciating three minutes of my life," he stated as he knocked over their unfinished game of Scrabbles, having no energy to do it anymore.

It took longer for Seokjin to regain his composure and when he did he sniffed. "Okay that's enough. Kook and I still haven't had our battle of elements."

To which the maknae immediately responded with "Beryllium. Helium. Carbon. Oxygen. Fluorine."

"Yah!" Seokjin exploded, making the youngest jump. "That's not fair! Hydrogen. Chlorine. Gold."

"Manganese. Iron. Cobalt," Jungkook retaliated.

"Platinum. Helium and boron. Potassium and calcium." The other two could only look back and forth to who was speaking. Kind of like a tennis match where the ball goes left and right, left and right. Yoongi decided not to pay them any attention and so plugged his earphones, eyes lazily watching the two members fight over such trivial matters. He could only sigh.

After a few more element-naming, none of which were close to his stage name, Taehyung noticed, he cut in "Alright stop it guys that's enough! Nothing's close to V anyway." They stare at him owlishly. "I'll just look it up in the Internet for crying out loud." He was about to reach for his phone when both shouted "NO!" Taehyung almost let go of his phone. His heart even almost stopped. He gave the youngest and eldest a kind of glare.

"Don't worry TaeTae-hyung I'll get it right," Jungkook promised.

Seokjin shook his hand. "No, I'll be the one to win Taehyung you just see."

They were about to spit out more elements when the door to the room opened, and Jimin stepped in holding his phone. He was wearing a smile and he sat down beside Yoongi, who gave him a nod as acknowledgement.

"Oh go on sorry if I disturbed you. RM-hyung was so boring and Hobi-hyung's out with his friends." He noticed they were all still looking at him so he was about to prepare to leave when Yoongi said "Ah don't mind them. They're just trying to guess V's element in the-" he spared Jungkook a glance. "Periodic table."

Jimin hummed. "Oh I see." He looked at his friend. "Wasn't it... I got nothing." There's silence when-

Seokjin snapped his fingers. All turned to him. "Vanadium!"

Jungkook groaned. "Argh! It was on the tip of my tongue too."

Jimin laughed. The others did too. Taehyung jumped for joy. Seokjin pointed a finger at Jimin. "Now I get to buy you ice cream since I won the bet."

He put on an amused face. "You made a bet over that?" The eldest nodded vigorously, which made him laugh. "Okay then. If it's Seokjin-hyung then I'm fine with that."

"Then Jungkook buys ice cream for me," Yoongi proposed as he pulled out his earphones, face still emotionless. A small grin cracked his facade and the maknae found himself agreeing to the request.

"Huh? Why? But you didn't do anything!" Seokjin protests.

"I facilitated."

Jimin and Tae laughed.

"Facilitated?" Seokjin's face crumpled in disbelief. "Ah what the heck. Let's go!"

A/N: the conversation about alkanes was true with my friend though thus the inspiration