1

"They have a camera."

"It's fake."

"Diego," Tyrone states, "They got a camera son."

"It's fake."

I walk up to the house. Tyrone sits in the getaway car looking like an idiot. He damn near grabs me when I walk up to the house. I walk right up to the camera, grab it and pull it off. I pull the batteries out and drop them on the porch door.

He seems surprised as he joins me on the porch.

"How'd you know?"

"With real cameras there are usually two wires one for power and one for the video feed from the camera although this can be wireless and the power wire on some models go through the mounting bracket directly into the camera to prevent it from being cut."

He gives me a look.

"How the fuck do you know all this shit?"

I shrug. It's not the first time I've been asked that question. Jackie has been my backup man since I knew him. Maybe that's why I trust him to hold the bag.

"Just been through a lot," I tell him.

"You ain't gonna tell me are you?"

"Hell naw."

"Whatever man. Let's just jack this place. I'll keep lookout. You do your thing."

I put in my earphones. Biggie Smalls starts playing. When I jacked a house it always had to be Biggie Smalls. Always.

The lyrics are loud in my ear.

I GREW UP A FUCKING SCREW UP. GOT INTRODUCED TO THE GAME. GOT AN OUNCE AND FUCKING BLEW UP!
That's the life I live. I grew up a fucking screw up. That's why I don't care when I disarm the alarm and barge in Becky Aniston's house in Piscataway New Jersey. She has some nice jewelry. I take it all. I've always been the jewelry guy. I leave the petty entertainment systems to Tyrone.

Mrs. Aniston is never going to see it coming, but she'll know.

She'll know it's me.

~

"So the cops are coming. I'm talking about down the street because one of the neighbors heard me breaking some shit. I'm dropping tvs. I'm running my ass off thinking Diego is right behind me. No. He's not there. You know where this kid is? Guess? No...you guys need to fucking guess. This motherfucker—haha—this motherfucker here is trimming flowers. Taking thorns off. This kid leaves a fuckin' spray painted black rose on her fucking night stand."

They laugh. My girlfriend Malaysia punches me in the arm, "Why do you do that?"

I shrug.

"I just do. It's always been...my thing."

The rose. That was my little signature. When I robbed your house I left a rose. In my head I feel like everyone deserves to make their mark on the world, even the bottom of the barrel pieces of trash like myself.

"He's always so calm," a girl named Nina states, "It's so sexy..."

They are trying figure me out. What was in my past? Why am I the way I am? The crew looks over at me when she says it. I guess I have that impact on people. Maybe that's why Nina loves staring at me. I know it bothers Tyrone even though he doesn't say anything to her about it. The girl flirts with me heavy.

"My baby really is, isn't she?" Malaysia states, "I'm glad you got two eyes. But he's all mine."

"Yo girl relax. I was just giving your man a compliment," Nina responds moving to sit on Tyrone's lap showing my girlfriend that Tyrone isn't hers.