Chapter 1

Hey guys! So this is part two of the maze runner series that I have written. If you would like to read the first one just go under my profile to find it, otherwise it's called Newt's Girl with the same cover page, so that it's easy to find. Anyway, back to where we left off in book one. Enjoy!

The bus began to move as the last of the guards took their seats. They seemed frantic to get us on the go as they kept looking out to the right. I followed their gaze to see what looked like a person chasing after the bus. I didn't see what the harm a single person could do, or why they wouldn't let her on. Was she sick?

I watched her until she disappeared behind the bus and the guards began to relax. We had no idea where we were going but none of us seemed to care, anything was better than the maze. Well none of us cared except thomas, who, like his usual self, was blurting millions of questions at the guard he shared his seat with. I smiled slightly, we were so much alike, and I would have been doing the same thing if the situation had been different. I didn't care where we were going, as long as I had newt with me.

I looked over at his dirty face. It was shiny from a sheen of sweat, as he placed his head against the window. It's been days since he slept and now that the adrenaline had worn off, he must be exhausted. I grab his hand in mine and he squeezes it lightly before drifting off to sleep, like most of the other gladers on the bus.

I notice my make-shift bandage from the corner of my eye, and saw that his dried blood had caked the thin material, making it utterly useless. I sighed at the sight of him, hoping that wherever we were going had medical supplies, since we lost a lot of our materials back with the grievers, along with a few of the other gladers.

The bus filled with silence as everyone fell asleep, including Thomas. Even though everyone was sleeping I could see the dried tear streaks on their faces, even newt had a few from the loss of chuck. Guilt consumed me, all this time in the maze and I haven't cried once, I've felt like I was going too, and my eyes have watered before as my body racked with sobs, but I've never cried. Although I didn't remember, I could tell I was the type of person who didn't cry a lot, the one who didn't know how to act and most likely laughed in serious situations. The only thought that really wrecked me was of losing newt. I couldn't live with myself if I lost him, as selfish as it was.

I sat awake for another 30 minutes as my mind wandered. The bus traveled through a never ending desert, nothing but sand in sight.

After my body calmed down a bit, I drifted, falling into a dark, endless sleep.

I woke up to newt shaking my shoulders lightly, "Were here, love. It's time to wake up." He whispered in my ear and it sounded like heaven after all that's happened.

"Where exactly is here?" I yawn, as I stretch my sore muscles.

He chuckles, "Who knows. It's too dark outside to see, but I hope there's s food wherever we are."

My stomach growled at the mention of food and suddenly I couldn't wait to get off of this constricting bus.

I hadn't even realized it was nightfall until newt mentioned it. It took a few seconds for my eyes to adjust, before I realized we were the only ones left on the bus. A guard stood at the doorway, waiting for us to make our way out.

I smiled sheepishly as we walked past her in apology for taking so long. She nodded her head in reply before gesturing for us to go down the stairs, so that we could join the others.

The other boys seemed to have taken care of themselves a bit, but Thomas's face was still red and swollen from crying. Would the thought of losing chuck ever not hurt? How long until our friends deaths would just be dull aches in the back of our minds? Weeks, months, years? All I knew is that it wouldn't be soon enough.