Chapter 14

My hair pushes away from my face as a hand holds it in place, admiring my face.

I feel skin touch my cheek and I sigh in content as I lean my head into Newt's hand.

Taking in a deep breathe, I jerk back. Newt does not smell like that!

A hand clamps down on my mouth, cutting off what was going to be a scream, but was now a soft whimper.

"Shhhhh. You have to be quiet. Do you want your friends to get hurt?"

Was that a threat? The boy in front of me seemed to be only nineteen or twenty years old. I could tell that he used to be attractive with his blonde hair that was falling into his face and bright green eyes.

His eyes.

Their was lunacy lurking in the back of them.

My heart sped up and my eyes darted around the room in search of Newt.

He was still safely sleeping beside me, along with the rest of the gladers. Why did he come in here?

He seemed to have read my mind, "Don't worry they're just sleeping. Saw you guys from up there," he points to a rather large hole in the floor above us that shows many other floors above it. I can't believe we didn't see that in the rush of the moment, "Thought I'd come say hi." He smiles lazily, but it was creepy since his left eye twitches a bit when he does.

I just stare at him with fear in my eyes. I wanted Newt to wake up, but I was also scared the boy would attack him if he did.

The boy looks me up and down, seeing fear written all over me, "Are you the only female here? It's not safe to travel with a bunch of boys. You know that right?"

I nod my head frantically. Maybe if I humor him, he'll go away.

The pressure of his hand on my mouth loosens ever so slightly. I can't stop noticing how loud my breathing is through my nose, he's gonna know I'm scared. He knows.

"Don't worry I won't hurt you or your boys. I can't speak for my friends though."

He seems proud of that fact but I freeze at the word 'friends'. How many of them are there? I look up at the hole he mentioned before but there's no one there. Hopefully he imagined them. He is crazy after all.

He looks back down towards my stomach and I realize that a part of my makeshift bandage is showing from the hem of my shirt.

"You're hurt." His voice is so unemotional it scares me. It's like he's trying to comprehend the fact that he just stated, "How did that happen? Oh you can't respond because of my hand." He chuckles to himself as though it's the funniest thing in the world. It sounds maniacal.

I whimper at his words.

"Shhh. It's okay. Shhh. You wouldn't want to wake your friends now would you? That would be very bad. Very bad indeed." He laughs again, this time louder, causing me to flinch.

He grips my arm in his other hand, wrenching me forward, "Are you scared?! Of what?! Of me?!" He's practically chocking on his words, "You should be! You should be! You should-"

"Hey!"

Newt tackles him to the floor in a second. I hear a grunt amongst laughter as they fight on the floor. The other gladers begin to wake up from the commotion. What bothers me most is the scuffling of feet I hear not from beside me, but above me.

His friends.

"Newt! Newt get off of him!" I shout in panic, looking between Newt and the gap in the ceiling.