Chapter 10

We walk in the scorching heat. The sun rays pounding down on us as we drag our feet through the thick sand.

I'm still catching my breath. From the ache in my side, to the dense air, my lungs feel as though they are filled with the sand beneath our shoes.

I'm now glad that Wicked gave us silky shirts to wear because f how sweaty I was, but I feared for how bad I would be burnt. Newt seemed to be breathing steadily beside me, along with everyone else.

Winston was holding up, but I could hear his whimpers as he trudged in the back. He must be in unimaginable pain. I hope we could find some supplies to help him.

I feel like we have been walking for hours, yet the scenery hasn't changed a bit. Desert. All I see is desert. What if we've been walking in circles this entire time? What if we run out of water or starve to death? Stop. You need to stay positive. Happy thoughts. We're all together and we're out of that tunnel. We just have to make it to the safe haven and everything will be over. Or so they say...

Newt took the sheet from my hands, so that I wouldn't have to carry it.

"It's still my turn. We don't rotate for another fifteen minutes." I attempt to grab it but he moves it slightly out of my reach.

"Just walk I got it." He looks down at me.

"Okay then when do you want to rotate?" I asked confused.

"Forget the bloody rotation."

I furrow my eyebrows at him.

"Don't you hear yourself bloody breathing? You sound like you're about to pass out. Plus, your side is still bleeding so I'd rather you not put strain on it."

"My side doesn't even hurt."

"That beside the point. You're still painting. It's worse then when you run." He jokes, lightening the mood.

I purse my lips at him. My arms were sore and I did hate carrying the sheet around with me all day, but I felt guilty having him carry it just because I'm out of shape. I was about to argue with him when Minho interrupts,

"Hey love birds! Look!" He points forward in the direction were moving in.

I have to squirt my eyes to see what he's gesturing at.

A town. Small. Maybe fifteen houses. But if there was a town there might be supplies and that means we were probably close to a city. I become giddy at the sight! Maybe we could rest our feet and find some food.

I completely forget about the sheet protecting Newt and I from the sun as I lock my eyes on our destination. We clearly had a few hours before we got there but I had the sudden desire to run for the first time in my life.

Now I longed for night time. Everything about this trip had me silently complaining. How long have we even been walking? It has to be nighttime by now! Why isn't it nighttime? Why am I so grumpy?

I pant as we speed up. Maybe running was a bad idea.

About two hours later we make it to the boarder of the city, splitting off into groups to search the houses.

Newt chooses the smallest house and I know he does it so that we will have the highest chance of being safe. Smaller house means less hiding places for a crank and that we will be able to leave faster.

"Okay so I'll check the upstairs, and then you can check the downstairs." I start to make my way up the stairs as he stretches his muscles from holding up the sheet the entire time. And I mean the entire time. He wouldn't switch roles with me for two hours even though I could see the pain on his face.

He grabbed my elbow pulling me back down to him, "No, we're not leaving each other's side. What if something's up there?"

"We can move faster if we spilt up."

He shakes his head, "You're injured. No ones gonna be mad at you for taking it slow."

"You do realize that we have a time limit right?"

"That doesn't mean you can't stay by my side." He looks at me with pleading eyes.

Something's off with him. His emotions seem to be stronger than usual. I caress his face with my hands, "Okay. We'll stay together."

"Always?"

"Always. I promise." I nod my head and start walking towards the kitchen, gesturing for him to follow.

In the kitchen there is a box of stale crackers and a single water bottle stored in the back of a cupboard. I hope this isn't someone's stash of food. I would hate to be stealing from someone in need. We find some Advil in the bathroom along with another bottle without a label that we leave behind.  From the single bedroom upstairs we grab a couple of pillows and some blankets. It will be better to lay on these than the hard sand floor.

"I think that's it." I say happily. We got more than I thought we would have. I hope that the others did too, "And we didn't have any trouble, I knew we wouldn't."

"How's your side?" He looks at me with concern in his eyes.

"I can't even feel it."

He doesn't believe me, "I don't want to risk the pills, maybe we could find some other kind of medication."

He starts to make his way back to the bathroom again.

"Newt I'm fine, honestly. Don't worry about me
He ignores me as he starts put-sing around upstairs again.

"I can tell. Seriously though lets go before Thomas comes bursting in through the door."

"I'd say that'd be a sight, but I've seen it many times."

"Well maybe if you could keep your hands to yourself we wouldn't have that problem." I tease.

"Not likely, love. Don't act like you don't bloody love it."

"Now's not the time to be cocky Newt. I wasn't joking about Thomas. He will come looking for us."

He sighs nodding his head towards the stairs, "Your right. What a waste of a bed though."

I gasp, smacking him playfully, "NEWT!!"

"What? Don't tell me you didn't think that too."

"Let's just go catch up with the others."

He sighs as he follows after me.

We have to walk down a couple of streets to get back to our meeting place. Everyone seems to have found small things at their houses, but it still wont be enough to last very long though. We better start saving our food and moving fast if we were gonna make it on time.

Everyone seemed to be waiting for us.

"Finally you two love birds finished shucking. Didn't think you would last that long on your first time Newty." Minho smirks.

"I did used to have endurance you know." Newt winked back, secretly referencing his running days. No one else knew about it besides Minho and I. I couldn't believe he was joking about it.

"Wait what?!" Thomas yells coming from around the corner.

"Aww slim it Tommy. Minhos just joking."

"He better be."

"He is Thomas. Your getting on my nerves." I groan.

He nods his head sadly and I suddenly regret saying that. He was just trying to protect me. I should be happy that he cares. I am, but I love Newt and I just get so mad when he tries to control our relationship like that.

"Well not to ruin the moment or anything but we should get going." Minho chimes. He was starting to get on my nerves now too. Jesus it must be nearing that time of the month, or maybe they actually all were annoying. That is a possibility. I'm gonna go with the ladder.

We begin to shuffle forward trading supplies when a scream echoes throughout the small, town with each step we take.

"What the shuck was that?"