Chapter 15

He just walks in!

Right in front of a Crank! Unarmed!

And I let him...

I feel like my world is crashing down onto me as I fail my brother again and again. Why can't I do anything right?

The Cranks in front of us seem to have formed a line in front of us, trapping us in with no escape.

Looking over their faces I notice something. More like someone. A girl, around Thomas's age stands in the front. She doesn't look merely crazy. In fact, she's beautiful. She has cropped brown hair and beautiful brown eyes that seem to glow even in the daytime. She's short, although still taller than me. There's something about her fierce demeanor that makes her even more beautiful. She's wearing a burgundy t-shirt that makes her eyes pop further and I suddenly forget where I am, wondering if that color would make my eyes pop like that too.

She looks almost bored, but there's also fear in her eyes as she looks to the spot where Thomas and Jorge had disappeared. Was she scared? Of what? I make eye contact with her and I feel something in her eyes. Jorge. He means something to her, like Thomas means to me, Maybe he's her father? But he's Hispanic and she's not. Whatever it is she's scared for him, and she can see that I'm just as scared for Thomas. Did I just feel a connection with a Crank?

I look up to find the Mason kid staring Newt down this time, instead of me, which somehow bothers me more. Newt is glaring right back. The look of pure rage from before back in his eyes.

"Are you guys like a couple?" He snickers.

Newt doesn't say anything, just squints his eyes as he pushes me completely out of view so the only thing I can see is the back of his shirt.

The boy chuckles, "Yeah good idea. Hide her. You definitely don't want to lose her. Something unfortunate might happen..." he doesn't make it sound like it would really be all that unfortunate.

Newt just growls in response and I'm shocked from all his responses. He kept doing that but I was wondering what was going through his mind. Usually he voices his opinions.

I catch the girl staring at our clasped hands, with what looks like a sad expression on her face, but then yet that might just be because Jorge and Thomas aren't back yet. How long has it been anyway? It felt like years. I began to worry. What if they got into a fight? Jorge was bigger than Thomas, but then yet so was Minho and Thomas was able to hold him off. Would he be able to take the grown man?

Minho was now standing up, with his arms crossed. I could tell that he was biting his tongue in Thomas's favor, which I was grateful for.

I can't help but to continuously look back at the door, waiting for Thomas.

Newt kept me behind him, pressing me against him so he knew I was still there.

Right when I'm about to snap, Thomas and Jorge come through the hallway unharmed. I see Brenda take a sigh of relief the same time I do.

"It seems we have made some new friends who can help us," he smiles honestly, "Brenda, take our new friends to the cellar to get some food, we'll meet up with the rest of you at the watch tower." He claps his hands together at the end.

The girl, Brenda, gasps in disbelief, "Jorge! You can't be serious!"

"Now now Brenda. They are very valuable to wicked and can help us all in receiving the cure."

My eyes widen at his words and so do theirs. I look over at Thomas in shock. He can't just promise them the cure. What if Wicked punishes us for this promise?