Chapter 30

Carly's P.O.V

Pain spreads from my shoulder. A searing numbness that spreads to the middle of my body with agony. I clench my hand causing the tendons in my shoulder to burn.

A fog has settled around me. Thick and gray, almost suffocating, but not quite if I focus hard enough. I could try to break away from it but I don't want to, in fear that the pain will be worse on the other side. But everyone I love is on the other side. So I stay in the middle. Not completely succumbing to the darkness that wants to drag me into a blissful stupor, but also not leaving reality behind.

At first I can only hear my thoughts, pounding against my skull as though they are screaming back at me. The volume doesn't change even when I whisper. Then the fog lifts slightly allowing me to hear the sounds around me. I yearn to hear Newt's voice. Where is he? Why isn't he by my side? He's always by my side.

I search for a few seconds longer before I realize that I don't recognize any of the voices floating above me. Or what they're talking about. I focus on concentrating and picking out key words,

"Patient number...Lost a lot of blood...prevent infection...under medication...". Different voices explaining different things to one another. I shake my head in hopes to understand full sentences, bringing myself closer to the light,

"What orders did you receive exactly? Cause this changes everything." A stern female voice asks, clearly stressed.

"We know. That's why it took us so long to react. We could have stepped in the second it happened. Hell we could have prevented it altogether. We don't even know how a weapon got into the city, this was never supposed to happen." A male explains, he sounds nervous but knowing.

"So we save the girl, and put her back in like nothing happened?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"If we let her die it would mess up everything. The trails, the data. We'd have to start everything over and we don't have the time! The brother and her lover can't function with out her. We almost lost him in the maze during his suicide stunt and without her." He pauses and I my heart squeezes at the reminder of Newt's almost death, "let's just say we're measuring their brain waves. They won't last much longer without her."

"They can't possibly have that kind of affect on each other! Others have died that they loved, take chuck for example."

I flinch at the mention of his name.

"That boy is different. They loved him, but they can learn to live without him. They can't live, can't function even, without each other. So we save her, and the trials continue because that's what we were instructed to do. Now inject her, I don't want her to have any recollection of being here. She needs to wake up in the scorch."

I can't have time to decide whether I should be angry or relived by all of this when I feel a prick in my arm and the darkness consumes me.

Newt's P.O.V.-

We've been walking for hours, and I mean shucking hours. We started around the same time the sun rose in the sky, when I found Carly sleeping in her own blood. I shudder at the thought. By this time the skies already a deep purple from the hiding sun and the cool breeze is rushing past me as though it had been held captive in a cage all day and is finally being let free to ruin our nights.

Tommy, Minho, and I; we had our faces turned up to the sky. Ears perked for that memorable roaring sound that took the person we all loved away. I didn't want to leave the spot where they took her from us. If they do bring her back, what if they bring her there. She won't know where to go. But the guys are right, we won't make it if we wait. And she'd want it to be like this.