Chapter 1

Day 3 since the accident 

(Alexia's POV) 

The accident had been a little over three days ago... Oh god, the accident 

~ Flash Back ~ 

I had been driving home with my boyfriend, Aaron, from one of the best dates we had ever been on. We had been going out for a year back then, and he took me to one of the floating lantern festivals in Los Angeles, CA. We packed the back of his truck with a mattress and bedding, and drove 2 hours to get to the festival. The night had been absolutely amazing, the view was stunning, and the boy that I was with made it all ten times better. Aaron was the love of my life, I was convinced that we were going to get married after high school. 

But, everything soon changed; the accident happened. On our way home from the festival a drunk driver hit Aaron's car head on going 70 mph. The force from the collision was enough to kill Aaron on impact, and smash the front of the car into my legs shattering my bones in too many places to count. Aaron's car was sent barreling off the road, landing upside down causing the roof of the car to come smashing down on my head giving me a major concussion. Then, we rolled, I have no idea how many times we rolled, but it was enough to send glass flying everywhere, I ended up with shards poking out of my legs, arms, and torso. It was a miracle I didn't end up with one in my skull. 

And after that, silence. There was silence from the car that had hit us, the drunk driver had died on impact as well. There was silence from the road, the road we were traveling down was rural, and not used often. There was silence from my lover, the boy I thought I would marry was now dead. There was silence from me, I was in shock, with no idea how to handle the situation. My phone and Aaron's had gotten lost in the accident I couldn't find them. And I couldn't go get help, I was trapped in the car with my legs visibly broken, and I thought I was going to die in his car before anyone could find me. The only thing breaking the silence were my small sobs, only coming every so often because I couldn't bear to cry over my lover. If I didn't cry it wasn't real, If I didn't cry then maybe he was still alive, I couldn't cry. There was silence, until I heard someone come, a guardian angle saw the wreck, and saw me. There was silence until I heard the screaming ambulances, there was silence until the paramedics pronounced the drunk driver, and my lover dead. 

And then the silence was broken, shattered by my sobs, as the paramedics dug me out of my lover's wrecked car. Then it became loud as the ambulance started screaming again, racing to get me to the hospital for surgery. Then it was dark. 

~ End of Flashback ~ 

(Alexia's POV) 

My surgery had lasted 7 hours after the paramedics took me to the hospital, as they pulled shards of glass from my body and put the bones in my legs back together so they could heal. I woke up 3 days later after having been in a short coma, my legs both had long casts going up well past my mid thigh, and my body was covered in wrap and gauze to heal where the glass had cut me. 

The doctors briefed me on how long it was going to take my body to heal, I had cuts that would heal in a couple weeks with little to no scarring if I took care of them, and a severe concussion that was going to take months of occupational therapy to fix. And worst of all, there was a chance that I might never walk again. The bones in my legs had been shattered, it would take long for them to heal, and even if they did, they would be weak, no more running, and no more sports. The nerves in my legs had been damaged, it would take months, maybe even years to walk again.