11 | painted love

September 10, 2017

DAWSONVILLE, Georgia- home to the beloved Elliott monarchy. It may be quiet and vast but the pride they held for their hometown hereos was heartwarming. The famous bar that sounded every time they placed a top or winning position held so much history.

Gently knocking on the burgundy door adjacent to a large bay window she nervously tapped her fingers along her thigh. The yellow sundress she wore wavered in the humid breeze as she patiently stood on the porch. As she went to knock again the door opened to reveal Cindy wearing an apron.

"Vivienne? Oh my- come in! I just made apple pie if you'd like some." The older woman guided her into the designer kitchen that looked as if it was rarely used. Clearing her throat, she lightly grasped Cindy's arm. "I need to talk with Chase." Her serious expression worried his mother as she hastily went to find her son.

As she heard her footsteps leave she distractedly grazed her abdomen; she had barely started to show. It had become a new habit whenever she was anxious. The sound of feet rushing down the stairwell led her to rest her hands along the counter. "What are you doing here?"

His curious tone caused his mother to smack his arm. Wincing, he avoided her glare as she left the two alone. Walking out to the backyard, Vivienne followed like a lost puppy. She was grateful he chose to give them privacy from inquisitive ears. Running a hand through her long hair, she sighed as her apprehension grew.

"Promise me, right now, that after I tell you this you won't run." She begged as her eyes filled with tears. When she had found out just weeks ago she wanted nothing more than to hide the news from him, but in her heart he knew he had the right to know. She wanted the best for the life she was carrying and if that meant sacrificing her feelings, so be it.

Shyly, she grasped his hand. "I'm pregnant." Avoiding his gaze she listened as Chase inhaled sharply; the gentle squeeze warming her cheeks. Those mahogany eyes she cherished sparkled with so much delight she couldn't help but laugh. "How far along?" Sitting down, he attempted to calm himself.

She touched his forearm as his face slightly panicked. "About four months. I'm due February." At the realization of the new season beginning at the same time her mind wandered. She didn't even know if he wanted to be involved. Startling Vivienne out her thoughts, he pushed a stray hair behind her ear. "I know I've been horrible to you, but please let me be there- as a friend."

The tranquil tone that filled the stiff atmosphere caught his attention immediately. "This is just as much your child as it is mine. Prove to me that you're willing to change." His heart ached at the underlying suggestion. Nodding as his eyes began to water she embraced his uneasy figure; to see Chase finally displaying his emotions meant the most to her in this moment.

Cautiously hugging the glowing girl, one of his large hands couldn't resist touching the faint bump as his new reality became evident. Just as her hands mirrored his actions she noticed the joyful glint in his eyes. Raising an eyebrow, she was shocked to hear him say, "I think it's a girl."

Playfully crossing her arms she pouted at his words. Laughing at her attitude he scooted closer until there was no space between the two. His hands continued to fumble with the fabric that covered their secret from the world. Gently her fingers guided his face to look directly into her eyes; the possibility of this not working out lingering in her mind.

Failing to hide her thoughts her lips began to tremble. Every time she tried to distance herself from his reckless ways their lives had different motives. Wrapping her arms around his neck she layed against his shoulder as the sobs echoed. Chase heard her voice crack as he tensed at her words. "Don't make me regret this, please."