14 | lying king

November 12, 2017

SIX months pregnant yet nothing had progressed. The dedication she poured into caring for him was constantly brushed away. It was as if the realization of becoming a parent was fake; he said and did what she yearned for. Changing for their future died with the heartache held within.

Every day she awoke to the portrait of movement and smiled. To see her baby dancing in the confinement of her body eased the emptiness of affection in her life. She had yet to attend a race after being told he was dating her- until today. Nobody knew that she was expecting a child; nobody knew it was his. The secrecy was to gain attention eventually.

The autumn breeze lightly pulled her maxi backwards as she walked along pitroad. Drivers were in pre-race meetings while spouses and children roamed freely. As her hand tucked a loose strand behind her sunglasses a familiar woman appeared in her sight. Slightly panicked, she turned to walk away when she stumbled into Amy Earnhardt.

"I'm so sorry! I'm not very graceful." Amy laughed as the young girl's cheeks flushed. Resting a hand on her forearm she squeezed comfortingly. The obvious glow to her skin surprised the older woman as she curiously raised an eyebrow. Clearing her throat, she nodded toward her dress. "I don't mean to be rude, but how far along are you?"

Vivienne was stunned by her abrupt concern, yet maintained a neutral expression. Her hesitation caused the older woman to smile. The amusement in her blue eyes told Vivienne she already knew the answer. "Six months." It was short and to the point. She couldn't afford more overwhelming emotions in this segment of reality.

Thankfully her clothing covered the ever-growing swell of her child, but she knew it was only a matter of time before others figured it out. Her sudden disappearance from victory lane celebrations was odd and drivers were worried their favorite girl had been fired. Quietly she requested, "Please don't tell anyone. I can't-" yet Amy embraced her kindly.

"Don't worry sweetheart. You're secret is safe with me." Grinning at the sudden shyness of her friend she nodded over her shoulder. "Someone is waiting for you." Vivienne turned around to see none other than Chase leaning against his pitbox. Moving to stand between his legs she was met with his hands settling on her stomach.

Tenderly they traveled around the curve as his eyes stared at her solemn expression. Biting her lip, she noticed the glint of pleasure as he felt a kick against his palm. "How's my boy?" Of course he only asks about the baby; the potential of having another racer in the family consumed his mind. "We're fine-- but you wouldn't know."

Offended at her attitude, he frowned. Chase watched as she removed his grasp and rolled her eyes at his reaction. He continued to stay in Georgia and live as though he hadn't been shown the life inside her womb. The facade he displayed whenever he did come around frustrated her beyond explanation. She was pausing her future for the well-being of another; something that affected her deeply.

"I'm working for us." Instantly a loud laugh escaped her lips as she leaned back and covered her mouth. She had unknowingly gathered the attention of others as Chase stood glaring. Clearing her throat, she pointed at his face. "That's why you never ask about us during the week? Or you're constantly running around with another woman?"

His face drained of color at the exposure of his treatment toward her in front of teammates and coworkers. Internally she could feel her walls crumbling as the light finally shone on his unaltered behavior. Fire consumed her green eyes as she failed to maintain her calm temperament. Quickly looking away, she chuckled at his rigid frame.

As she observed the business of others her mind wandered to all the possible names for her child. Without a doubt he would not share his father's name. Chase was lucky if she allowed the Elliott last name, alone. The birthing process was still so far away but she felt herself slightly panic at the idea of welcoming a child into this world.

"I asked one thing of you and you couldn't even promise me that." Vivienne allowed his arms to comfort her crumbling state; all she needed was his touch. Sniffling, she knew others were staring but in the moment she needed him to know how she felt. It had been weeks of excusing her emotions and she was done with the effort.