Beorn

Previously:

"Yes, it does, which is why we are going to need a burglar."

Thorin was jolted out of his flashback when he heard a loud howl, ringing out in the cool silent night, the sound rebounding throughout the clearing, ringing in the dwarfs ears.

He was remembering the time when he first met Gandalf and the wizard told him that his father had sent him. But that was 12 months ago.

He wasn't even sure anymore that his father was really alive. A little nudge followed by a small sneeze, looking down he spotted Draco on the floor in front of him, staring up at him with her mismatched eyes.

'I have never liked elves, in fact I have a deep hate rid for them but I have grown to love Draco even though I will never admit it.'

Looking up I search the rocks in search of our hobbit.

Somewhere ahead of the others, Bilbo peeked over some rocks on a high ledge and watched Azog and his Warg Scouts running along a ridgeline not far away, occasionally stopping to smell the air in their pursuit of the Company.

Not finding anything, they continued on their way. Suddenly, Bilbo heard a snarl from the side, and ducked quickly behind the rocks.

He peeked out and saw a large bear watching Azog from another pile of rocks, snarling softly. Bilbo was terrified. So he quietly sneaked away as the bear roared.

Bilbo had made his way down the rocks to where the dwarves and Gandalf were waiting to hear Bilbo's spy report when Draco came running towards him. She jumped into his arms in greeting.

"How close is the pack?" Dwalin asked

"Too close. A couple of leagues, no more, but that is not the worst of it." Bilbo started only to be interrupted by Dwalin

"Have the Wargs picked up our scent?"

"Not yet, but they will; we have another problem." Bilbo said

"Did they see you? They saw you!" Gandalf said anxious.

"No, that's not it." Bilbo said shaking his head.

Gandalf smiled and turned to the dwarves.

"What did I tell you? Quiet as a mouse. Excellent burglar material."

The dwarves chuckled loudly in appreciation of Bilbo. Bilbo looked exasperated that no one was hearing him out.

"Will you listen- Will you just listen? I'm trying to tell you there is something else out there." Bilbo whisper-yelled

The dwarves looked worried.

"What form did it take? Like a bear?" Gandalf asked

"Ye..." Bilbo paused and looked curiously at Gandalf.

"Y- yes. But bigger, much bigger."

"You knew about this beast?" Bofur asked Gandalf who turned and walked a few steps away.

"I say we double back." Bofur suggested

"And be run down by a pack of Orcs." Thorin argued

"There is a house, it's not far from here, where we might take refuge." Gandalf said suddenly

"Whose house? Are they friend or foe?" Thorin asked suspicious

"Neither. He will help us, or he will kill us." Gandalf simply said

The dwarves looked at each other in dismay, as Draco growled, a low menacing sound as she gazed into the distance.

"What choice do we have?" Thorin asked

A roar split the night behind them. It was the bear.

Draco growled in the direction of the bear but stopped when Gandalf answered. His answer chilled everyone.

"None."

The company began running through plains and across little streams.

"Come on!" Gandalf yelled

As the Company ran through a forest, Azog and his Orcs were racing through the forest too. Azog urged his party on. Both groups stoped suddenly when an ear-splitting roar sounded nearby.

"This way, quickly!" Gandalf commanded

As the dwarves panicked and ran, Bombur looked on in shock until he was pulled along.

"Bombur, come on!" Bofur called

As they exited the forest, they spotted a house surrounded by a hedge in the middle of the plain.

"To the house! Run!" Gandalf yelled

The Company ran across the plain. Bombur,became very scared when a howl rang out. He ran so fast he outran all of the company in his fear. They ran through a gate in the hedge.

"Come on, get inside!" Gandalf commanded

They ran to the front door of the house but it was closed. Bombur, who reached the door first, threw himself against it but fell flat on his back when the door didn't  budge. The rest of the dwarves caught up and they began throwing themselves against the door, trying to open it.

Gandalf looked back as a massive bear broke out from the edge of the forest and ran toward them.

"Open the door!" He yelled

"Quickly!" Thorin yelled, pushing through the dwarves pressed against the door, he managed to raise the exterior bolt, opening the doors.

The entire company bolted inside the house and they tried to slam the door shut, but the bear had already gotten its head in the door.

As the bear roared and tried to push the door open, the dwarves yelled and strained to close it. Draco jumped out of Bilbos arms and hissed at the bear. Unsheathing her claws she ran at the bear and scratched it deeply on the nose. Bilbo pulled out his sword and pointed it unsteadily at the bear as it howled in pain.

Gandalf looks on in apparent amusement. The dwarves yelled as they pressed against the door.

"Come on, lads!" Dwalin yelled

With a final heave, the dwarves managed to close the door and drop the bolt across it. They sighed in shock, fear, and tiredness.

"What is that?" Ori asked

"That...is our host." Gandalf said

The dwarves and Bilbo turned to Gandalf in bewilderment.

"His name is Beorn, and he is a skin-changer."

Oin checked his hearing trumpet to make sure he heard Gandalf correctly.

"Sometimes he's a huge black bear; sometimes he's a great strong man. The bear is unpredictable, but the man can be reasoned with. However, he is not overfond of dwarves."

The dwarves looked at each other in dismay. Ori peaked out a crack in the door.

"He's leaving!"

Dori pulled him away from the door.

"Come away from there! It's not natural, none of it. It's obvious: he's under some dark spell." Dori said

"Don't be a fool; he's under no enchantment but his own. Alright now, get some sleep, all of you. You'll be safe here tonight." Gandalf said

The dwarves started spreading out through the house. Gandalf whispered quietly to himself.

"I hope."