Helping

Bard paddled the dwarves and Bilbo across the lake in his barge. It was very foggy, and the barge pushed aside ice floes. Suddenly, large stone formations appeared out of the fog.

"Watch out!" Bofur called out in fear.

Bard expertly poled the barge between the rock formations, which turned out to be ancient ruins. The old rock foundations looking old and frail as their weak columns threatened to fall down.

"What are you trying to do, drown us?" Thorin sneered as he looked at Bard.

"I was born and bred on these waters, Master Dwarf. If I wanted to drown you, I would not do it here." He replied softly as he kept his eyes on the chilling waters. He spared a quick glance at Draco who had coughed softly. Her small body was being help by an anxious Kili whose brother stood beside him as he watched her. He glanced up at Thorin when she began to shiver, her skin pale as a sickness began to overpower her senses.

"She's getting worse." Fili exclaimed in panic.

Before Thorin could say anything Bard called Kili over.

"Bring the child here."

Kili sent a look to his uncle but complied when Draco shuddered. Walking over he allowed Bard to examine her.

"She has a fever." He said

"She needs herbs but I have none on me. She will have to wait until we reach my home."

Kili looked down sadly at her.

"Is there nothing we can do to help her?" He asked

Bard looked thoughtfull.

"The only thing we can do for her is make sure she is comfortable. She's cold so we need to warm her up." He said.

"Give her body heat."

Kili looked up at him quickly and then back down at the child in his arms.

"Can't you? I mean you have more layers than I and since you're bigger than me you will generate more heat and it will be easier to hide her from guards" he said

Bard looked down at him before he slowly nodded. Taking the sleeping child, he placed her in his right arm before he grabbed the corner of his coat an pulled it to cover her.

Kili bowed his head in gratitude and walked back to his brother.

"Oh I have enough of this lippy lakeman. I say we throw him over the side and be done with him." Dwalin scoffed suddenly

Bilbo answered him slightly angrily.

"Ohh, Bard, his name's Bard."

"How do you know?" Bofur asked

"Uh, I asked him." Bilbo said with a look of no patience.

"I don't care what he calls himself, I don't like him." Dwalin told Thorin.

"We do not have to like him, we simply have to pay him. Come on now, lads, turn out your pockets." Balin said

The dwarves began pulling out their money and valuables. Dwalin whispered to Thorin.

"How do we know he won't betray us?" He asked with a suspicious look towards Bard.

"We don't."

"There's, um, just a problem: we're ten coins short." Balin voiced after he had finished counting the coins.

"Gloin. Come on. Give us what you have." Thorin said

"Don't look to me. I have been bled dry by this venture! And what have I seen for my investment? Naught but misery and grief and-" Gloin started but stopped talking when he realized that all the others had slowly stood up and were looking at something in the distance. As the fog thinned, he saw the Lonely Mountain.