Chapter 7 : Conviction

Oh no, no no no no no! What do I do what do I do?! Think think think!

I couldn't even clear my head, my fight or flight senses kicking in quickly. My legs seemed to move by themselves as I quickly turned around and bolted into one of the bedrooms of the house, locking it behind me.

Thundering footsteps followed not long after, loud banging sounding from the other side of the door as they tried to open it.

"UNLOCK THE DOOR NOW OR I'LL BREAK IT OPEN!" It was obvious who that was.

I scrambled around the room, trying to find a way out, it was completely closed off though.

You dumbass you cornered yourself!

I pressed myself into the corner of the room, attempting to make myself as small as possible.

You did this to yourself, if you had just stayed home than none of this would have happened! Idiot, idiot, idiot!

The smashing on the door continued,
"Katsuki you're gonna scare her!"

"DOES IT LOOK LIKE I GIVE A FUCK IF I SCARE HER?!"

Oh god this isn't happening, this can't be happening.

________________________________

Kirishima tried to pry Katsuki away from the door, this wasn't right, this wasn't what he agreed to do.

"We can't do this!" He raised his voice, knowing that he had to get his point across.

"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!"

"You don't get it, this isn't-"

"SHUT THE FUCK U-"

"NO YOU SHUT UP! LISTEN FOR A SECOND!" He shouted, effectively shutting the rage-filled blonde up.

The brief silence was enough to make the choked out sobbing from the other side of the door very clear to hear for both of them.

Katsuki's expression changed from pure anger to what seemed to be actual regret and slight worry, the redhead had never seen this before.

Actually, any positive or sympathetic emotions were rare for him, his usual attitude being pretty toxic and bitter.

The dragon boy breathed a soft sigh and knocked on the door twice, a lot more gentle than the ruckus that his violent friend had been causing.

"Hey, are you okay?" He asked quietly.

Silence.

"Wh-what..?" The girl asked quietly, clearly taken back by the sudden change of tone.

"We didn't mean to scare you, you just kinda... caught us off guard there."

A few sniffles were heard.

"I get it if you don't really trust us right now, but I really am sorry, Katsuki is too... Katsuki say you're sorry."

"What?! I'm not gonna apologize!" He spat, glaring and crossing his arms at the very idea.

Kirishima only glared back, giving him an expression of pure persistence.

He eventually growled and rolled his eyes,
"Alright FINE! I'm sorry!"

Silence.

Then a quiet click sounded from the door, it slowly creaking open to reveal the girl, wearily peaking out the crack between the door and the doorframe.

"Are you gonna kill me..?" Her voice shook slightly, her eyes were slightly red and puffy from crying.

Kirishima didn't know how to answer this, so he just shook his head and gave her a warm, reassuring grin.

Katsuki though, he was having a realization that made his mouth dry and his whole body feel sick.

This girl, she was the dragon... they would have to kill her to fulfill their quest.

The door was completely opened by now, and the girl seemed a lot more calm.

"I'm sorry for running away like that I just... nobody has every really seen me like this before and I wasn't sure what to do and..." she stopped and down with a pained look in her eyes.

"There's a bunch of people that have been trying to kill me lately, that's why I thought..." she shook her head to get rid of her negative thoughts, a small smile taking their place.

"Sorry, I've just been kinda nervous since more guards have been showing up."

"I have a question for you." The usually rage filled blonde spoke up, his tone being a lot more cool and calculated than what would be considered normal for him.

"Do you have any idea what might have happened to a woman that lived in this village? She apparently went missing a month ago during one of the 'dragon attacks'."

The girl seemed shocked at his words, taking a second to process them,
"Wait, what are you saying? I've never even interacted with anyone in the village before, let alone do something like... that."

"And how do I know you aren't lying like you were before?" Katsuki's words harshened, the familiar edge returning to his tone.

"I..." her words fell short, "I have no proof, but just know that the only reason I've been coming to the village and taking cattle is because the forest doesn't have large enough animals."

"What? That doesn't make sense. If you were in your human form then smaller animals would be fine." Kirishima mentioned, accidentally contradicting her words and adding to his friends suspicions.

"That's the thing... as you could see from earlier, I still can't exactly control my transformations that good..." she admitted to them, seeming kind of embarrassed by that.

They both nodded and things were quiet for a moment.

"WAIT A SECOND!"

The sudden exclamation dragged their full attention back to her.

"YOU'RE A DRAGON AREN'T YOU?!" She pointed straight at Kirishima.

"Eh?!"

"This all makes sense now! How you somehow knew that I was a dragon, how you also knew about how much dragons need to eat, and how you weren't freaked out at all when I accidentally showed my wings and tail! It's because you're a dragon right?!" Her face showed her conviction, yet a slightly over the top smile remained on her lips, like she was excited.

"Wait! I didn't know you were a dragon!"

"When my wings and tail were revealed you shouted, 'I knew it', at the top of your lungs..."

He went to defend himself but stopped as he realized that she was right,
"Crap."