Chapter 11 : Crimes

The almost painful beating of their hearts thumped audibly in their chests.

The two boys dashed through the dense forest, smashing through any brush, branches, and even smaller rocks in their path.

They swerved around trees and bounded over the roots as nothing but a path of broken shrubbery and rubble was left in their wake.

They had to get to her first.

They had to.

If the village people got to her first, who knows what they would do to her. It wasn't like she would defend herself, they knew that about her by now.

The smell of the smoke from the villagers' torches choked out any hope in the air, but they had to at least try.

They had to get to her first.

_____________________________

A head perked up from its slumber as the smell of smoke and the distant clattering of feet filled against the stone wall of the cave it resided in.

Her tail lashed back and forth slowly, her dragon form stretching out with an exaggerated yawn.

She began making her way out of the cave, not caring to try and shift out of her dragon form, having tried for the past few hours and failed miserably.

She had pushed herself to go and hunt for once, and actually didn't feel hungry. Her body wasn't used to that though.

Now she was stuck in that form and couldn't change back, how lucky for her.

A curious air sat still around her as her large, clawed feet began carrying her out of her cavern home and into the lush woods.

Something wasn't right though, she could tell.

As soon as she stepped one foot onto the soft grass, she could sense that something was off.

This wasn't any 'off' like confusing though, this was borderline, gut-wrenchingly, terrifying.

And it only got worse with each passing second.

Her heart dropped as she immediately went into high-alert, her posture lowering and eyes narrowing.

This was the kind of 'off' like a dark force that you can feel practically breathing down your neck. Like a monster under your bed, ready to strike at any given moment.

The fear of death crept through the thick trees like a thorny vine. One that choked out the life from everything around it, killing without a trace of mercy.

The fearful thoughts clouded her mind, it's surprising how much a person changes when the promise of death sits directly in front of them.

And that's exactly what it was.

Her overall expression of focus and determination contorted into pure horror.

This wasn't just the village.

Her eyes scanned across the masses of people that got closer and closer, surrounding her much faster than she could get away.

Had to be three, no four villages. Hundreds, maybe even thousands of people had closed her in before she could even realize what was going on.

One of them, who looked to be a village chief, stepped forward and began to speak in a dark and sharp tongue.

"BEAST OF THE FOREST!" He shouted, his blood-curdling tone and violent aura giving him and almost demonic feel, "WE HAVE GIVEN YOU MANY CHANCES TO LEAVE OUR LANDS! WE HAVE TRIED TO FORCE YOU TO LEAVE! NOW, YOU HAVE ONLY RETURNED OUR PLEAS BY TAKING OUR PEOPLE!"

Oh no... oh god no...

"YOU WILL BE PUNISHED FOR YOUR CRIMES AGAINST OUR PEOPLE!"

Please... god no...

"YOUR GIVEN SENTENCE FOR WHAT YOU HAVE DONE IS..."

"DEATH."