A reason to fire

Jack looked over to Mark, who was currently laid down on the grey sofa. The blanket from Sean's bed wrapped around him tightly. Mark refused to move from the couch. He had said that he didn't want to move, that it was to scary to walk, not being able to see what was in front of him.

Jack sighed, his hands shaking as he gripped the bench. His mind was racing at the speed of sound.

What happened to Mark?
How did Mat convince Nate to give Mark back?
How is Mark?
Will he be able to cope without seeing?

So many thoughts roamed in his mind, so many that they screamed like voices. Some he didn't understand, others, he was able to form into questions.

Jack took a big breath in and a slow one out. He couldn't panic now, he couldn't have an episode in front of Mark. He needed Mark now.

Jack jumped when he cellphone rang. He walked over to it, pulling it off the chargers, he brought it to his ear.

" Jack! Jack are you there?" Matt's frantic voice spoke.

" I'm here" Seàn replied, resting back on the wall. He only hoped he could calm down soon.

" Is Mark okay?" Matt asked.

Jack nodded, closing his eyes.
" Yes, he's sleeping".

Matt's voice could be herd as a sigh of relief passed his lips.
" Jack, Mark is yours now. I don't have the power to reinstate him and neither do you. Mark will forever be a slave to you now-".

Matt was cut off when the commotion around him overpowered his own voice. I sounded like hundreds of people moving around him. Hundreds to scared people.

" Matt, what's going on?" Jack asked.

" I need you to do me a favour. Meet me at the Lott tomorrow, bring Mark-".

Jack held his breath as the line cut off. He held the received away from his ear as all but ominous beeping sounded from it. The boy had to wonder, was he okay? What had happened?

Sean looked back at the man sleeping on the sofa. He looked so peaceful with his eyes closed, his mouth gape. His soft snores filled the room with more joy then either of hem could understand.

" Looks like we're going to visit a friend tomorrow Mark" Jack spoke.

~

Mat sat in his cold home. A white mansion that had long been evacuated. The walls still held painting and portraits, photos of his family. Brown haired Amanda smiling widely. Next to her stood luna no more than six years old.

Matthias sighed into his hands, stress pulling at his features.

The man stood sleepily, he was tired. As he walked through his home, past the kitchen. Memories of painting it with Amanda flew through his mind,the image of her baby bump pushing out through her blue shirt.

Mat stood outside, two home made wooden chair standing to his right. The same two chairs were Jack and himself had sat and talked no a few months ago.

The blonde haired man looked out and beyond the porch he stood on. Rows and rows of brown huts lined his land. Some still in construction.

He remembered when they're was a large community of people here. Hundreds laughed and went about their usual jobs day to day. They were all self efficient and independent.

Now they all laid bare to waste.

Police had been in formed of Matt's little system a few months ago. They found no miss-conduct, but set up a permanent residence. And everything was running fine, until.
A slave refused an officer. Using force to do so.
Then when another stepping in to protect him, they were shot.

Matt pinched the bridge of his nose as he cried. They weren't older then eight. They thought they were just protecting their mother.

After the child was shot, almost every slave rioted against the officers. And because of Matt's healthy relationships with them, that he'd given them the freedom to do whatever thy wanted. They didn't listen when he pleaded for them to stop.

Matt had gotten his wife and child out first. He booked them a ticket to Britain, were they would be safe from any repercussions from violating the slave laws.

But Matt stayed behind to get every last slave deported, smuggled to wherever he could ship them. He had nearly been caught trying to do so. That's when he texted Amanda to simply get everyone to run. To evacuate.
Hundreds were captured by officers, they were all traded back into the slave trade. A sad time for Matt, unfortunately, he didn't have the riches to eat them all back.
Whoever made it onto the boats went to England, they were put into programs that the country has in place for slaves. They will be rehabilitated and out back into society in England.
Matt smiled at the thought, at least one country knew that it was wrong. He was glad they were helping whoever they could.

There was only one slave that remind on the Lott. She was a special one, deemed unfit to go back into the trade. The police officers had tried to 'put her down' but Matt had pleaded with them. Saying that he'd take responsibility for her. That he'd sell her to another if he was to be put in jail for his 'crimes'.

Matt turned as he herd bare footsteps of that very girl. He saw her brown hair swept over her shoulder as she strode over to him.

" Molly" Matt said as he walked over to her.

Matt gently reached out his hands to cup hers. She smiled when they made contact, standing straight in front of him, she smiled grimly.

" Are you okay Molly?" Matt asked.

Molly looked up to Matt. Her expression saying it all. It held hurt, pain, confusion. She wanted nothing then to feel safe again. The only small comfort to her now was the hands that held hers. The hands of a man she thought of to be her father.

" Everyone's gone, aren't they?" She asked, her voice holding hurt.

The man nodded slowly.
" Yes Molly, you and me, we're the only ones left" Matt said.

The brown haired girl broke into tears. The clear liquid dripping from her eyes and she sobbed silently.

" What about Tanner? Grace?" She asked.
" Are Luna and Amanda okay?".

Matt nodded again, and brought her into a hug. He rubbed comforting circles into her back as she sobbed.

" It's okay, everyone is okay" He lied.
" I'll take care of you".